New to the Site - 89 XR 250 Question

I just picked up my first dirt bike:ride:, an 89 XR250, and have a couple of newbie questions.

What size of spark plug does this bike take? I cant get it out, do I need a special thin wall socket?

When the bike is in neutral, the bike will roll (as it should), but when I put it into gear and have the clutch in the back tire still locks up.

The guy I bought it from said it runs great, however it had some old gas in it and it didn't want to start. So the first thing I was going to do was drain the gas and put in a new spark plug.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I've got one. These are great bikes, if you treat them right. You should tighten up your clutch cable and that might help. I don't know what the sparkplug is but I better go look because I've had this bike for a year and never looked at it (oops) but any way have a look in your manual but if you don't have one just go down to your dealer.

I found that the plug is a NGK DPR9Z for the xr250r. I guess my bike is a 250r because it doesn't have the electric start??

Is the proper place to tighten the clutch cable at the lever? I think it had some play in it. So hopefully if I tighten it up it will engage/disengage the clutch.

I still haven't found out if I need a special socket to remove the spark plug. The socket I tried might have been for an impact wrench and was a 12 pt socket. I will dig out my other set of tools to see it the socket walls are a little bit thinner.

Thanks for you help.

I guess my bike is a 250r because it doesn't have the electric start??

Is the proper place to tighten the clutch cable at the lever? I think it had some play in it. So hopefully if I tighten it up it will engage/disengage the clutch.

I still haven't found out if I need a special socket to remove the spark plug. The socket I tried might have been for an impact wrench and was a 12 pt socket. I will dig out my other set of tools to see it the socket walls are a little bit thinner.

Thanks for you help.

ALL XR's are non-E-start. Think...X-Rnot Easy start.

Should be another adjustment further down the cable close to the engine side.

Thin wall spark plug socket should get that plug moving. :banana:

I just picked up my first dirt bike:ride:, an 89 XR250, and have a couple of newbie questions.

What size of spark plug does this bike take? I cant get it out, do I need a special thin wall socket?

When the bike is in neutral, the bike will roll (as it should), but when I put it into gear and have the clutch in the back tire still locks up.

The guy I bought it from said it runs great, however it had some old gas in it and it didn't want to start. So the first thing I was going to do was drain the gas and put in a new spark plug.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I've been told that any 5/8" plug socket works good on the XR250, the XR400 however needs a thinwall 18mm socket. (no room in there)

Like Rokon said there are other adjustments further down the cable that should be used first. Leave the adjustment at the clutch lever screwed almost all the way in, saving this adjusment for the trail, when you don't have tools? :banana:

Perc

Thanks for the help guys. I had some time last night to dig into it a little bit and try to get it running.

I did manage to get a standard socket to get out the spark plug. The plug that was in there was not the recommended plug, so I replaced it with the right plug.

I also drained all the old gas out, and put in some fresh stuff. In hind sight, it would have been just as easy to take the tank off and dump it.

There was some play in the clutch, so I tightened up the cable. I also checked the air filter, it looked pretty clean. I am going to clean it anyway, I picked up some stuff from Honda they said to spray on it after I clean it.

So...finally, I tried to start it again. No luck. Pulled the plug, its getting spark. So I sprayed a little carb cleaner in and it started up. I was able to keep it running for about two minutes, then it quit. Still doesn't want to start with out spraying carb cleaner.

Should I pull the carb and clean it? I guess that might be a retorical question, since the guy I got it off of left gas in it for 6-8 months without starting it.

I will let you guys know if I get it running this weekend.

Thanks for the help.

Put a little copper anti-seize compound on the new spark plug threads before installing it. You should not have to fully remove the carb at first, unless you know for sure it's gunked up. You said the PO left gas in it for months, but was the fuel valve on? I say just drain the fuel from the carb, unscrew the small bolts from the float bowl and pull the bowl off the bottom. Then take out the fuel jets (pilot and main), note their sizes and clean them if necessary, then reinstall everything and try to fire it. If it does not run, then consider removal and full cleaning of the carb. If it does run, just ride it, but not into the middle of nowhere (just in case something goes wrong with a new ride). You might need to rejet but first see how it runs in the current config. Oh and I always recommend installing an inline fuel filter between the tank valve and carb inlet, they are super cheap insurance. Have fun with it!

Thanks for the help guys. I had some time last night to dig into it a little bit and try to get it running.

I did manage to get a standard socket to get out the spark plug. The plug that was in there was not the recommended plug, so I replaced it with the right plug.

I also drained all the old gas out, and put in some fresh stuff. In hind sight, it would have been just as easy to take the tank off and dump it.

There was some play in the clutch, so I tightened up the cable. I also checked the air filter, it looked pretty clean. I am going to clean it anyway, I picked up some stuff from Honda they said to spray on it after I clean it.

So...finally, I tried to start it again. No luck. Pulled the plug, its getting spark. So I sprayed a little carb cleaner in and it started up. I was able to keep it running for about two minutes, then it quit. Still doesn't want to start with out spraying carb cleaner.

Should I pull the carb and clean it? I guess that might be a retorical question, since the guy I got it off of left gas in it for 6-8 months without starting it.

I will let you guys know if I get it running this weekend.

Thanks for the help.

This sounds like a good plan. :banana:

If the bike only runs on carb cleaner, that tells you that you have compression, and spark. The only thing missing is fuel! which works for you when you spray carb cleaner.

I'd say lift up the sub-frame, pull the carb, and clean all ports using wire or similar to be sure all residue is out of the passages. This is clearly your last obstacle.?

Perc

This sounds like a good plan. :banana:

If the bike only runs on carb cleaner, that tells you that you have compression, and spark. The only thing missing is fuel! which works for you when you spray carb cleaner.

I'd say lift up the sub-frame, pull the carb, and clean all ports using wire or similar to be sure all residue is out of the passages. This is clearly your last obstacle.?

Perc

Subframe doesn't come off 95 and earlier XR250s.

I'd just toss the jets and buy new ones. For $10 its a heck of a lot easier than trying to get them clean enough to run reliably.