Sign in to follow this  

cam break in question

Just got an HC stage 2 cam for my x. Can you break a cam in with semi-synthetic oil? why does synthetic not let the cam break in? thanks.

I believe that synthetic oils dont let the cam break in because they actually provide too much librication. I.e. that black nitrile coating that you noticed on your HC is designed to wear down during break-in and essentially become 'polished' to perfection via friction. The synthetic oils prevent this polishing from happening in the correct time period...I just used conventional oil for the first ride then you can switch back to your favorite synthetic.

Enjoy your HC! Braaaaapppp

When I put my stage 2 in I used non synthetic honda oil. Didnt really do much of a break in. I let it sit and warm up varying the throttle from idle to quarter then took it out and had my mind blown away.

so, by "blown away" im guessing thats a good thing? i got non synthetic oil, and broke it in a little bit ago. tomorrow ill check my valve lash again, and hopefully my mind will be blown away too.

I was very impressed with the performance. Ive got the JD kit for jetting, a Dr. D full exhaust, twin air filter and stage 2 cam. Along with the pink wire mod for a few more rpm and a R and D fuel screw, the bike has more power than I could ever ask for, let alone effectively use. If your going with the stage 2 Im hoping you have an aftermarket exhaust and filter to let that thing breath all the air that cam will allow. A buddy of mine has the same bike with mostly the same mods just varying in brand names but he kept his stock cam, they really dont compare. Bottom end is still very close but from mid to top mine will walk right past his. Another big thing I've noticed is how much harder the power comes on. These bikes are not even close to being under powered but his just feels so much softer than mine. It may be hard to believe but his feels slow. I run a 170 main jet with a 48 pilot and the clip on the fourth slot on the needle, this is at an elevation around 500 foot.

it sounds like we almost ride the exact same bike, right down to the exhaust. thanks for chiming back in, i am very excited. hopefully tomorrow i get to post how my perfect bike got even better.