Sign in to follow this  

Utah Little Sahara Dunes advise???

Hey gang, A group of friends and I are heading down to the Little Sahara Dunes the last week of April to get some riding in and then hit the SX in SLC. I am looking for some help on the best area to camp for riding the dunes. I hate to sound like some poser teen goon (really, I'm a 34 y/o Vet Pro MX racer) but we like the spots were we can find the bigger jumps (150 ft stuff) like you find at St. Anthony's. St. A's is our usual dune spot since we are only about 2 1/2 hours from them. So where is the best camping areas for a group of 8 or 9, dune access, reservations accepted, white sands, sand mountain, oasis, etc??? Any insight would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryno

Cool. Thanks OKVet!:banana: I checked out the link and read up on them. I think White Sands is the part we are looking for. :lol: Any other suggestions guys (and gals)???

Sand mountain is where the crazy action is! The back side has some big dunes. There are no reservations (that I'm aware of) all dry camping, but I don't think anyone has been turned away. Cherry Creek (no fee) is an open riding area is outside the boundries of little sahara(?) with trails ect... and where I ride when going down that way.

Make sure you're legal, the Rangers will check for registrations, flags and that you paid the entry fee. I don't believe there are any other fees once you've entered the park and I don't remember the fee being excessive.

I wouldn't recommend White Sands for what you want. My personal favorite is the Oasis campground. It has paved spots, fire pits, picnic tables, bathrooms and water. You can ride to the dunes from the camping spot and it's pretty close to Sand Mountain.

I wouldn't recommend White Sands for what you want. My personal favorite is the Oasis campground. It has paved spots, fire pits, picnic tables, bathrooms and water. You can ride to the dunes from the camping spot and it's pretty close to Sand Mountain.

Excellent. I've been to the Oasis campgrounds once before but it was a LOOOONG time ago (like 2002? last time the SX was in SLC before it departed). I seem to remember riding out into the dunes straight from the campgrounds. We are all legal for trail stickers and flags since St. A's dunes require the same thing. Looking forward to the trip and thanks for ALL your help!!

Ryno