Sign in to follow this  

CR80 shift hard after crank replacement

I just split the case and replaced my crank. Using the manual I put my transmission back together. Everything looked fine, but before I put it back in the bike I thought I would try to shift it. I could not get the shifter to move. So i thought I did something wrong. Took it back apart and it still looks fine. So I removed the shifter and put a socket on it. I can get it to shift fine through all gears and even find neutral. So my question is, should I have oiled the gears (and maybe cleaned them as well) before putting it back together to get the gears to move on the shaft easily. I did put some oil on the bearing for the shift drum. I can get it to shift with the shifter but is very hard. Will this clear up when I put it back together and put oil in it, or should I tear it back apart a lube it up?

Thanks,

When putting it back together I did not have any oil in it to prevent it from leaking out onto my gasket while putting it back together.

A lot of times when you put the transmission back in only 1 half of the case it is sort of difficult to shift. Turning the input shaft while shifting it will help a little. As long as you can get it to go through all the gears it should be fine. Once you get the other case half bolted on it should get better.