Lost Trail?

What/where is the Lost Trail. I have been searching around here and google and i have found a few references for West Lost Trail, North Lost Trail etc but nothing talks about where it is, maybe thats why its lost??

Anyone have any info/details/pics on it? I have heard some people say that it is a pretty intense trail, not real long, just technical and connects to a few other trails.

Thanks.

Lost trail creek and west lost trail creek are in the Rio Grande NF above Rio Grande Reservior northwest of Creede. Trail 821 and 822. Other trails in the area, 917, 916, 787 and joining trails in the San Juan NF are still listed as open on the current MVUM plan. It's been several years since I rode these but they were great.

Link to MVUM:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/riogrande/recreation/travel_management/mvumindex.shtml

It's been several years since I rode these but they were great.

]

"Were" might be the word: Pole Creek Trail, and West Lost Ck Trails are in Handies Peak Wilderness proposal, part of Diana DeGette's Colorado Wilderness Act - 850,000 acres, not one of which is in her district.

DeGette's Act:

http://degette.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=844&Itemid=189

Handies Peak info:

http://www.canyoncountrywilderness.org/handiespeak.htm

"Lost" just might be the word too.

It seems that everyday someone is trying to take more "public land" from the "public". Every wilderness bill does just that, effectivly closing it to the vast majority of the public. I live in the upper Rio Grande area so these trails are in my backyard, so to speak. I just read that Congessman John Salazar, I live in his district, came out in opposition to HR 4289. I sent an e-mail thanking him for his position on this bill. I hope his opposition will carry over to others.

The West Lost Trail and North Lost Trail are not near here (WP). If you're looking for the Lost Trail that's close to us, it's out near Tarryall. It's a pass over the Puma Hills, just like LaSalle Pass. It runs slightly north of LaSalle. It connects trail 231 on the east to trail 237.A (I think this is also referred to as 237.A1) on the west.

The trail is perfectly named as it is difficult to find. I assume it's named after the Lost Creek Wilderness Area, althought it is a good bit south of that area. It is shown on the most detailed USGS quads. It is also shown on older CO altlases and on Garmin's City Navigator software (both of which are street maps, not trail maps). It is not on most trail maps like Trails Illustrated or the official Forest Service maps.

It is very difficult to find. I went out searching for it the first time and could not find it. I talked to Will in town and he assured me it existed so I went out a second time and once again could not find it. I went a third time with GPS tracks and finally located it. This was last spring.

It was an basicly an unmaintained goat trail that was stupid steep in tight trees with an impossibily sharp switchback. It also had downed trees that in order to get over I had to lay my bike down on the tree trunk and drag it over. It is so steep it can only be reasonably navigated from east to west. That was early June 09.

A few months later when we did BreckTrek, Lost Trail had a wooden cattle guard installed up top, the downed trees had been cleared, and the trail had been widened to a quad track (yet still steep enough to provide a good challenge). The wierd thing was that now trail 237.A (where you exit Lost Trail) had a No OHV sign.

The legality of Lost Trail is questionable. It is not an official FS OHV trail, yet it has recently been improved. While trail 237.A is an official FS OHV trail, yet it has a No OHV sign.

Lost Trail is so difficult to find that I wonder if I've been getting lost (no pun intended) on it which is why I end up crossing the No OHV sign. I plan to scout it again as soon as the snow clears.

Thanks everyone, and Pablo, that is the trail i was talking about. I figured you would chime in. Is this trail going to be a part of the RMMB500 or the Breck Trek?

Anyone have any pics of the trail?

Other than BreckTrek, have you heard anyone else talk about Lost Trail? I discoved it by studying maps. And Will (in town) also knew about it. I've showed it to two other people (although I doubt either could find it again). Outside of that group I've never met anyone who was aware it existed.