Sign in to follow this  

Another Scaphoid Thread

After reading through a ton of posts, I need to ask my own questions on this heavily discussed injury.

About 3 months ago I fell in a simple right hand corner. Felt the sting of what I thought was a sprain. Seemed to not be too bad and I continued to ride for 2 months until the pain was consistently there.

Finally went to the Ortho where I got X-rays (don't have them to share). Nothing was out of place. Doctor stated I may need an MRI, but decided to cast me for about 5 weeks just to immobilize the wrist if it was soft tissue damage.

Got the cast off Monday and was instantly in pain when I bent my wrist back. Just so happens the area of pain is right below my thumb on the bottom of my wrist. Sounds like a Scaphoid fracture to me.

So here are my questions:

If it was not detected on an X-Ray, would the fracture be severe enough to need surgery?

If it is a small hairline fracture would surgery be an option?

Would surgery cut the heal time down? I believe the answer is yes here, so would I be able to elect to have surgery?

Can I make the fracture worse by not using a brace and continuing regular activity? Can I ride on it and just deal with the pain, or am I actually doing more harm?

Should get an MRI this week and have it read by Monday... I hope.

Thanks in advance for any advice. This injury is very distressing to me considering how many things it affects for me, not just riding but surfing, Mtn biking, climbing.

-Rob

Ok, lets make this simple to see if I get answer.

Can I ride on it and just deal with the pain, or am I actually doing more harm?

If you had a fracture, an MRI would pick it up. If you have a non-union, an MRI would pick it up. If you pain is worse now after casting than it was before the cast, it probably is not a fracture, but most likely stiffness from being immobilized for 5 weeks.

Non-displaced fractures usually do not need surgery. The blood supply to the scaphoid is very tenuous, if it was disrupted, it can cause a non-union...but this usually is in displaced fractures. If you need the MRI to diagnose the fracture, your's isn't displaced......

Wear the brace until you get your MRI...when it comes up negative, then game on...

I had a similar experience. I fell on my wrist and the PA at the medical office said it was likely a sprain. I was given some motrin and off on my merry way. About a month later, I was still in some pain, but still tolerable.. The PA said it was likely tendonitis and I was given some motrin.. About 10weeks later, I was still in pain and constant aches, so I went and got some x-rays.. It showed a scaphoid fx and the ortho wanted to perform surgery.

Since I was out of state and didn't want to have surgery done in BFE, I decided to go home to a local ortho and he gave me the option of having no surgery. I was in a thumb spica cast for the better part of 4months, a bone stimulator and x-rays every few weeks.. The scaphoid eventually healed, but I lost some ROM. I can do flat palm pushups, but its uncomfortable.

If I could do it again, I'd probably opt for the surgery and faster recovery time...