Sign in to follow this  

Arizona Got the Shakedown @ Wildcat

I met a couple buddies at Wildcat yesterday. One guy I have riding with for a year or so and his friend who just got a bike. I have bustin my friends chops for a year to get his OHV sticker cuz one of these days.... Well yesterday was it... I got there first and unloaded my bike. I brought my 450R cuz they are both on race bikes and it ain't as much fun chasin 450's on my XR650 or my lil KTM200. Monday night I mounted my RV plate and OHV sticker so I figured... good to go.

The guy with his new bike showed up and tells me he not gonna unload it till the other guy gets there cuz he has an extra plate from his pit bike... and I'm thinkin... you dumb ass when he bought the bike like 2 weeks ago I told him the first thing he needed to do was go get an ohv sticker. Then the last guy shows up and gives him the plate we are all unloaded about 5 mins from hittin the trail and the Forest Service Law Enforcement guy pulls in. I'm thinkin...hope he doesn't check for a spark arrestor..... CUZ I have em on my other two bikes that are sitting in the garage at home!!!! So he walked over to my bike and saw my plate and shiny new sticker... so I figured cool...half way there. My buddies were busy trying to find theirs. So he gave them a little educational speech about why it must be mounted to the bike, and NOT in your Camelpack. He even mentioned that people would try and show a plate that didn't belong to that bike! I'm pretty certain the new guy just about sharted cuz Mr. Forest Ranger would have run some numbers.... it woulda been a bad day. I told my buddies not to worry cuz I had some ZIP-TIES and we could permanently affix the plates in no time. Mr. Ranger was cool with that. Then he said... "By the way... do you guys all have a Spark Arrestor???" Then he gave us all a short educational speech about what closed course competition only exhaust means. He also included that with all the rain...it's really no big deal right now...but in July when a gnat fart could set it all on fire it's really when it's necessary. So as he got his little antenna looking thing out of his truck and walked over to my bike I knew my day was over... and bike #2... and Bike #3. Then he said.... well guys I'm glad I talked to you now instead of while you were riding cuz that would have cost you around $150 for a ticket. Then he was kind enough to recommend Canyon Raceway as an alternative, you can use a closed course exhaust there. He also asked us to please stay on trails because there have been a lot of people makin new trails and if that keeps up the area will get closed down. All in all the guy was pretty cool. And really could have wrote us a few tickets.

So... the moral of the story... Before you drive all the way to Wildcat and get all unloaded and geared up... make sure you have your plate(sticky velcro mounted)... and your bike has a sparky in it!!! I knew better but if figured as long as I have my plate they're never gonna check. Now it looks like I have to get one of them pretty Pro-moto Billet end caps.... Damn, an excuse to buy goodies for the bike!!!

• Like 1

It also sounds like handling the situation with a little maturity and responsibility kept you guys from getting tickets. Good on ya. :banana:

Shame more people don't handle their business that way.

i thought the same thing i have a plate and sticker they wont bother asking me about the sparky.i have been lucky so far and have rode without the sparky and need to buy one of those overpriced pro moto endcaps....

It also sounds like handling the situation with a little maturity and responsibility kept you guys from getting tickets. Good on ya. :banana:

Shame more people don't handle their business that way.

Yeah... the guy was cool... we played dumb about the sparky issue and he "educated us". The thing that interested me the most was when he was talkin about stayin on trails and he was really cool. He even said "I don't want it to end up like California..." I never got the impression that he was bein a dick at all.. We were in the wrong... and knew it... what's to argue about???

Did you guys ride or pack up? If ya rode where is the pics????:banana:

Always better to have all the requirements.......you can stage at the end of 136th street too....lot less "traffic" than Wildcat.

Did you guys ride or pack up? If ya rode where is the pics????:banana:

Always better to have all the requirements.......you can stage at the end of 136th street too....lot less "traffic" than Wildcat.

yep, rode from there yesterday. God I love the desert right now. I do have one of those overpriced PMB endcaps, I figure the $113 it cost me for the PMB is a lot less than the ticket I might get later if I do not have one:thumbsup:

I wonder about some of the exhausts (like the FMF Q) that have a spark type arrestor without a screen?

There's a Krizman(sp) style arrestor thats not a screen. My PC silencer on my KTM has one.

Did you guys ride or pack up? If ya rode where is the pics????:lol:

Well... we loaded up and left Wildcat... that's not to say we didn't ride.:banana:

There's a Krizman(sp) style arrestor thats not a screen. My PC silencer on my KTM has one.

right, so if poking doesn't work then what do they do? do they have a chart that tells them? Do they look for stickers on the exhaust? what if the sticker falls off?

right, so if poking doesn't work then what do they do? do they have a chart that tells them? Do they look for stickers on the exhaust? what if the sticker falls off?

You can't poke thru the krizman style either... it looks like a turbine inside kind of I guess... But the big Pine Tree and USFS approval sticker help too!!! Any FS approved sparky will have the approval on it... I think it's the law.

The USFS approval is engraved in the end cap of the FMF Q. No sticker to ever lose. If they can't accept that, then there is a bigger problem...

I figure the $113 it cost me for the PMB is a lot less than the ticket I might get later if I do not have one:thumbsup:

Yeah, and not to mention potencially starting a fire and burning my house down!

my Ti Q has a screen. I can see it and touch it. Also imprinted on the pipe

glenn

On Sunday just after unloading at Wildcat, as my son and I were getting reading to head out on a DS ride, Ranger Barney Fife comes up and gives us the big lecture about needing the OHV decal, spark arresters, and not blazing new trails. I kept trying to tell him that I've heard it all before, we are in full compliance with our street legal DS bikes that have MC license plates, OHV stickers, stock mufflers with spark arresters, that he could plainly see. He went on the whole diatribe about how the revenue from the OHV sticker goes to make new riding areas... I almost couldn't hold myself back and ask: "Oh yeah, just what riding areas have been opened since inacting the sticker program?" And "Seems to me the funds have just been used to step up enforcement to check for stickers." I figured I better not as Barney was just itching to use his ticket book for something.