Sign in to follow this  

Air screw replacement XT550

I'm going to make one of these:

http://www.kientech.com/ExtendedFuelScrews.htm

for my XT550 by braising an extension onto the factory screw, I've about had it with trying to turn a stubby screw driver that I can never find and doesn't fit in the slot right without burning my hand against the hot cylinder.

I was just going to order a new one so I'm hopefully starting with clean metal and if it doesn't work, I didn't destroy the only one I have.

But I can't find it on the parts diagram.

Can someone point me to the right part?

CARBURETOR.Gif

Edited by Smacaroni

On my 82 there is no spec so I set the idle jet to the 83 spec and I dont fiddle with it. I don't realy have any Issues from -10 to 100f temp. It isnt razors edge lean and fussy like the new bikes.

I cleaned the carb and neglected to count the number of turns in before removing the screw. Now I only have one way to determine the correct setting.

I'm not looking to fiddle with this thing all the time, maybe once a year, however, for the small amount of time I'd invest to pull it out with the engine cold and braise an extension on would more than make up for the time I spend trying to find a screwdriver that fits and then yelling "ow! ow! ow!" trying to adjust it hot.

I did'nt notice it was you Smacaroni when I replied I can't find my manual in the house I'll have to check at work and get that spec to you to start at.

Not in garage found in house under a bunch of mags pilot screw spec [1-1/4+or-1/2] happy motoring my daugter and I putted around town on the xt125 I haven't lit off the 550 yet

A normal person would have walked to it and got it it was 12 feet from the computer and took me a week .

Well, I ordered one anyway, $17. I'm still going to make it hand-tunable one way or the other because I can.

So I ordered the XT600 part, lo and behold, it's the same part:

IMAGE_356_crop_400.jpg

The only differences I see are the spring is longer and the O-ring seems smaller on the new piece.

However, that might also have something to do with the fact that this hasn't been repeatedly "heat treated" yet.

Until I get the extended screw made up, I'm not planning to take the new one out again.

What if you drilled a hole into the center of the slot [slightly smaller than an allen wrench 1/16 or 3/32" measured across the points ] then slightly round the end of the allen wrench [after cutting to the length you desire] and swedge it in [while supporting the screw head] epoxy if you desire. I dont know how good you are at brazing I'm pretty good but I think this would be a tough one to do without destroying needle also just distorting it and screwing into your carb could be bad also.

I suck at brazing. I couldn't do it to save my life. However, I know someone who is quite good at it. That's why I wanted to get a second screw, if I destroyed one, no biggie.

Through a strange turn of fate, I now have a second spare.