Sign in to follow this  

Custom electrical help needed - new headlights!

I just got the dual PIAA setup from Ricky Stator, and I would like to add some features when I wire it up. It's been quite a while since I've done any wiring like this, so any electrical gurus please chime in.

I would like to use the stock HI /LOW handlebar switch as an ON / OFF switch so that I can shut down both headlights when not needed.

Also, I would like to add a 3-position switch for LEFT / BOTH / RIGHT so that I can completely control the lighting.

Finally, I am not sure if any of the stock wiring can handle the load - especially coming out of the stock HI / LOW handlebar switch, so I think I would need to use a relay solenoid.

I have attached a drawing I made. Is any of it correct? Any suggestions? Any advice? Any advice on switches or solenoids? THANKS!

:banana::worthy::lol:

LightSwitch.jpg

Edited by jonr3

the solenoid gets grounded too, look about right. but I usually blow up something first to learn :banana:

A question about your motivations.

Why do you want to turn the light off? It's not like you save anything. With no light on all the power that the stator makes has to be adsorbed by the regulator. This is the hardest thing you can do to this type of regulator. Max stress happens at no load. Since that electricity is going to get burned off one way or another you might as well have it running the headlight. At least that is how I look at it.

A lot of the dual sport kits use a wimpy hi/low switch and wiring. I ran a 100 watt headlight through mine and I don't think it was a good idea. There was about a volt of voltage drop. The wiring was really wimpy. I rebuilt my wiring harness and now run 14 gauge wire. Running a relay burns a little juice, but can help a lot with less voltage drop. Voltage drop is a real killer. A 1 volt drop means 20% less light.

To draft off of CL's comments... why not use the stock switch to toggle between one/both lights with no "all off"?

To draft off of CL's comments... why not use the stock switch to toggle between one/both lights with no "all off"?

how is he gonna run from the cops with dual PIAAs?

A question about your motivations.

Why do you want to turn the light off? It's not like you save anything. With no light on all the power that the stator makes has to be adsorbed by the regulator. This is the hardest thing you can do to this type of regulator. Max stress happens at no load. Since that electricity is going to get burned off one way or another you might as well have it running the headlight. At least that is how I look at it.

See? That's why I love this forum!!!

I thought by turning them both off when not needed, it would be a good thing. If that's not the case, I wouldn't mind having one on all of the time...

A lot of the dual sport kits use a wimpy hi/low switch and wiring. I ran a 100 watt headlight through mine and I don't think it was a good idea. There was about a volt of voltage drop. The wiring was really wimpy. I rebuilt my wiring harness and now run 14 gauge wire. Running a relay burns a little juice, but can help a lot with less voltage drop. Voltage drop is a real killer. A 1 volt drop means 20% less light.

Yeah, I'm a little concerned trying to run both lights through the stock wiring, so I will probably run a relay and run some heavier wire.

After reading CL's comments, I think I will.:banana:

how is he gonna run from the cops with dual PIAAs?

As slow as I am, they could catch me on their bicycles.:lol::banana:

As slow as I am, they could catch me on their bicycles.:lol::banana:

It's about how fast you look! :banana::banana:

just use a SPDT realy and power the off the hi beam lead from your handlebar hi/low switch. makes the system much simpler as you can ditch the second switch

just use a SPDT realy and power the off the hi beam lead from your handlebar hi/low switch. makes the system much simpler as you can ditch the second switch

I don't suppose you could draw me a little wiring schematic could you? Unless I can see it, I have a hard time figuring it out...

I hate electrical stuff.:banana:

I just looked at the wiring schematic and I am more confused than ever.:banana:

I redrew part of it (see below) and am trying to figure it out, but I am lost.:banana:

It shows 2 wires (blue & green) coming from the headlight and connecting to 1 wire (black). I am assuming that the black wire is the ground since it goes to just about every light and switch on the bike. Is that right?

If so, why would there be 2 wires from the headlight connected to the ground?

lightswitch2.jpg

So, what do I connect to what to make it so that my new "low" light comes on automatically like the standard low beam, and the new "high" comes on when I hit the high beam switch? HELP PLEASE!

:lol::worthy::banana:

lightswitch3.jpg

See? That's why I love this forum!!!

I thought by turning them both off when not needed, it would be a good thing. If that's not the case, I wouldn't mind having one on all of the time...

i wud use the stock switch w/ the wire guage bumped up... :banana:

...when an off/both switch. :lol::thumbsup:

why wud i want an "off" position??? ...the new lights will put an increased load on the system therefor in two situation i wud want an "off"...first, when start'n w/ a low battery(& no backup kickstart :banana:)...second when i want to internally charge up a low battery situation. :banana:

then there's maybe a third reason...stelth mode(racing, running from & hiding) but u wud want the tail light/ brake light interrupted also.

:banana:

Okay, I THINK I might have it figured out now...

I found out what the 3 wires in the stock H4 light socket control, so I came up with the below diagram and included using relays as well.

Can anyone confirm or deny that this setup would work?

Finally, I think with the stock headlight that when the highbeam is activated, it turns off the lowbeam. Is there a way to link it so that the lowbeam stays on when the highbeam is on?

Damn, this project is giving me a headache...

lightswitch4.jpg