Sign in to follow this  

Hyperpak CDI

I know lots of guys have used these to replace stock CDI's that have died.

The seller claims more performance out of the Hyperpak CDI's over stock because of different timing curves.

The CDI on my XT550 is working just fine...I wondered though if replacing it with a Hyperpak would provide any real "seat of the pants" performance improvement?

If you've used one...what's your opinion? Worth the money as an improvement...or just a replacement part?

I got one for my XT500, I thought it was a good price, bike starts right up as far as performance I made too many other mods to be able to say that.

Grimmy

I have no personal experience with Hyperpak but would be very surprised if there were any performance gains. Yamaha didn’t have to worry about all the extremely stiff noise and pollution regulations when they made the XT550. They could design the bikes to run well. According to the workshop manual the timing advance is 35° at 6000 rpm. That doesn’t sound like delayed ignition timing, like on some of the newer bikes.

I’m sure Hyperpak is a good unit and the price is not bad… I may buy one myself in the near future since the original CDI on my ’83 XT550 is shot… but I certainly don’t expect any performance gains.

Hopefully someone that has personal experience of the Hyperpak will comment…