Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

23 hours since valve check, bike's good. Am I good?

Hey guys,

Last time I had the valves checked on my '05, I had the shop install an hour meter. I've put about 23 hours on it; the bike starts and runs fine. Do you try to stick to a schedule or check them once the bike starts suggesting they're out of spec, due to the way it's running?

Also, how do you know if you need a new piston/ring?

Thanks

just wait till you have to push start it or around 30 hours check them. and for the ring, i just wait till mine starts to leak alot. i know alot of people will say around 70 hours but that is rediculous

Well I don't know how many hours the previous owner put on it before I put on the hour meter. I lucked out and got it for $2700 last year. No problems whatsoever with it. I'm still new to bikes though, and want so see a problem coming before I inadvertently grenade the engine.

i would def put a piston in that thing, its 5 years old already, but if its still running ok you probally can put it off a little longer, on the valves, the bike will let you know when its time for new ones, it will not want to start and will make noise, when it starts doing that then start checking often

2nd the piston.. a good aftermarket is a good choice.. not knowing how many hours are on it I wouldnt chance losing a piston over it, 150 bucks is better then a grand..

I 3rd the new piston and rings.

I do the rings after 40 hrs and the piston and rings at 80 hrs. If your just putzing around on it, there's no need to change them that often, but you might want to look at somewhere around 80 hrs as a sort of benchmark. The 40 hours I'm refering to is a on a bike that's ridden and raced real hard all the time. Even 40 hrs on the piston and rings is really stretching it for this type of riding.

Thanks guys! The bike's a one-kick wonder, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Well I think it's about time. Just guesstimating, the bike probably has close to a hundred hours on it, maybe more. I've never raced it, and the kid who had it before me did, but he wasn't a fast rider revvin' the hell out of it. The exhaust valves needed to be adjusted only a little last time I had the shop check it; intake was good. What's a good price to have new piston & rings put in?

Doing it yourself- HC Piston (JE, Wiseco, CP, Cosworth), Top End Gasket Kit, and Cam Chain/left cover gasket can be done for around 200 bucks if you shop around- online stores are saying $230-250...

I'm only comfortable enough to do the basic maintenance:blush:, so I'd probably have someone else do it. Most complicated work I've done on it was remove the rads and put 'em back on after they were repaired.

OMG. Put in a new top end and reset your hour meter.......

Can you elaborate on your sense of urgency? By OMG, you mean I should do it immediately?