Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Minnesota rain in MN; time to transition back to dirt?

wow look at all this rain! Still very cold out though. I was kinda hoping for a deep-freeze that would "zamboni" the lakes so we could have one more fun ice ride. Last weekend, even with just XR 100s, we dug ruts that seemed like they were a foot deep! I'm probably exaggerating, that's just how they felt. Very good rut practice, I learned some things.

So is it officially time to take the ice tires off and start focusing on the "summer ride"? When will that be? Any guesses? I think usually we can't get out until after April 1st..

Yeppers, its time to get rid of the ice tires, and start gettin ready for dirt!!!

One foot deep ruts wouldn't surprise me at all! But, its going to dry up fast, and I'll be riding in two weeks ;-) There's my prediction, Saturday, March 27, I'll either be riding on dirt, or will have fallen down, and will be laying in some deep mud...

yup grantsburg has their first practice on the 27th and 28th! We will be riding outside soon!

yup grantsburg has their first practice on the 27th and 28th! We will be riding outside soon!

If the snow & ice are gone from the woods the 5 mile single track trail

will also be open for the 2010 "Sand Blast" at Grantsburg 3-27 & 28 :banana:

new Bridgestone 403/404 combo spooned onto my rims.... check

spokes tightened, wheels true.... check

one rider who wishes he could fast forward the next couple of weeks.... big check.

I love the dirt... the first practice of the season, the anticipation, the nervousness, even to go practice!

How many times have you looked longingly at your bike this winter as you've passed by in the garage?

The thought that I can ride like McGrath, even though I really ride more like Mayor McCheese. That harsh reality rears it's ugly head really fast at that first practice... :banana:

I had my "new to me" bike tore down to the frame this winter, it's all back together now so winter was just long enough for me!

Now it's time to try it out! :banana:

Looking forward to not only dirt but also hitting up DCTC, BIR, etc.

Speaking of which, need some info from ya Steve!

Speaking of which, need some info from ya Steve!

I'm looking forward to finally dragging a knee again too... went ALL last year, never got on a (race-prepped) street bike once. Injuries and surgeries, oh my.

How can I help you my friend?

Haven't checked recently, but last I saw you site it wwas down. Wanted to get signed up for a day or two since I ended my season with you last novice class (I'm the "little guy" guy on the R1 :banana: ) hit me up offline if you want.

You going to race this year? I did my first d23 last year so, the cherry's popped and I'm anxious for this year. Trackdays already started with this past weekend at jennings

Pulled the Ole CR outta the 'lean-to' out back, fired it up, and putted around the yard for a bit today! This mud needs to go away! And I mean NOW!!!

:banana: she's up now!

http://www.ridingcourse.com

I retired from roadracing this year! I'm not going to renew my expert license. Now I'm only going to ride track days for fun.

I'm also not going to race motocross nearly as much. My buddy "Scoops" and I have decided to take a semi-break, and just have fun for most of the year. We'll stilll do some motocross races, just not nearly as much as in the past.

We are going back to "riding for fun" this year, at least until I feel closer to 100%. That might not happen this season, but it would be great if it did. My hip still gets sore when I ride... no complaints!

I run an advanced defensive riding skills course out there... really just learning how to "ride proper" (where you should look, where your body should be, etc). The return riders make things look a little scarier than it really is.

It should be fun! I still get to have a little fun here and there.

I retired from roadracing this year! I'm not going to renew my expert license. Now I'm only going to ride track days for fun.

I'm also not going to race motocross nearly as much. My buddy "Scoops" and I have decided to take a semi-break, and just have fun for most of the year. We'll stilll do some motocross races, just not nearly as much as in the past.

We are going back to "riding for fun" this year, at least until I feel closer to 100%. That might not happen this season, but it would be great if it did. My hip still gets sore when I ride... no complaints!

Have you been roadracing a long time? It's pretty $$$ compared to dirt bikes.

I run an advanced defensive riding skills course out there... really just learning how to "ride proper" (where you should look, where your body should be, etc). The return riders make things look a little scarier than it really is.

It looked more fun than scary :banana:

Thought it was pretty neat to have a place to get the 'turns' out of your system instead of using the roads like I used to...

We lost nearly all of our snow overnight and there is no standing water this year like there usually is. I'm planing on riding my track by mid-next week. :banana:

Very cool! Updated pages too! :lol:

I'm only racing in a few D23 MX races this year. I'd rather just ride and put the same race money into track/practice time. Not to mention I have a bike to fix yet...

As to street, I'm only doing trackdays, so no racing for me. Although, I've got the bike to do it if I was expert. :banana:

It's a blast! For those who don't know, Steve puts on a great course and classroom. I did the beginner last year as a requirement. But, I'm going to do it again this year too. Although, I'm bringing the bicycle or wife's TTR so I don't have to ride beotch on Steve's little 100. :banana:

It looked more fun than scary :banana:

Thought it was pretty neat to have a place to get the 'turns' out of your system instead of using the roads like I used to...

I hear ya Charlie. Before I got off the road on my '03 R1, I was doing things I should have only been doing on the track. Wide country road sweepers, triple digits and rev limiters can have disastrous results.

Since I got off the street, I actually look forward to riding more. Not to mention it's much more enjoyable. I first got on a track at DCTC back in '06 for something another person puts on. Really calmed me down and I actually got bored with street riding.

Have you been roadracing a long time? It's pretty $$$ compared to dirt bikes.

since 2000. I agree, it's way more money, way more prep, and you have to have heat in your tires! It's great in the dirt to have the tires work perfect on the first lap! :banana: I use warmers when I raced, but I still would only go like 95% on the first lap; I know, I should just go for it, but I would always hold a little back on the first lap and then let my inhibitions go for the second one on.

Yep track days are plenty fun, you get to flow with the bike, I really enjoy them, all done with road racing now. I agree too, street bike riding is ruined, it's just transportation now, and nowhere near as wahoo as a controlled course.

I would love to find a place to ride my YSR 50, like outdoors on a go kart track with possibly some runoff. Maybe Cokato? They haven't been hip in the past... I don't know the legalities of stuff like this, but wouldn't YSR 50 races be great? Those are fun but not super scary fast.