Sign in to follow this  

WRE once again wont start!

Okay i have hanged the spark plug to a brand new one, i tried cleaning my original Dell'orto jets with still no luck. Now i have checked the top of the piston which looks okay apart from a slow build up of oil after a few kicks

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af5/k9smuggles/th_P3070116.jpg

Larger image.. http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af5/k9smuggles/P3070116.jpg?t=1268330999

Since then i have put a different carb on there which im aware will have the wrong jetting but id still expect it to run idle at least.

I have made a video of me TRYING to get it going just after the new spark plug was put in which is here.

You can hear it backfire 4 times, twice with choke on twice with it off. original spark plug was fouled, wet black.

I have almost given up with troubleshooting, soon i will go out and buy a new piston kit for the 2nd time within 2 months or a whole different engine.

I might be wrong...............

But it looks to me from the pic's, you have the same problem as i had on my rm 250. water in the crank, have you changed the piston? did the head seal properly.

My RM250 did the same, i didnt get rid of all the water from the system, and it would kick kick kick backfire and plug always looked soaked with oil.

so i removed piston and dried out the bottom end. put it back together, fired straight up.

Hope this helps:thumbsup:

I think your not wrong though. I have had a quick look at the crank rod when i was taking the head off. I think there might be coolant down in there because when i rotated it i could see droplets running back around and under the crank.

If that would stop the bike firing up then that must be the problem. But the problem did start when i was going along a road and it just died. Wouldn't kick over but would bump and slowly build up to going okay for another minute then cut out again n so on...

Il try your solution tomorrow and let you know.

id almost bet, you sheered the key on the flywheel.

and the timing jumped a bit..pull your flywheel, and see..

hmm maybe so, something happened to my flywheel about 2 months ago but i dont know exactly what, i just got a shop to go ahead and fix whatever the problem was..

i will check that tomorrow also.

Does the drainage nut on the bottom of the engine drain the crank chamber?

Edited by k9smuggles

I know its a total shot in the dark but I have been amazed how good a trick this is. A husky "guru" taught me this one.

After watching you kicking video...Only kick it once hard with piston at tdc. Use the kick starter to rotate it till you hear that "clunk"(you will know) then stop. then give it a good solid kick. Worth a try

Does the drainage nut on the bottom of the engine drain the crank chamber?

No it just drains the gear box oil, there should be no oil oi the crank apart fron what the carb puts in

has the water level gone down? that would indicate water leak, check flywheel like was said.have you checked to see if you have spark? what condition is the bore in? you might have low compression due to damaged bore or worn rings/piston.

Hi,

I've studied the pics and video,

BACK to BASICS,

check for spark,

if you get a reliable blue spark then check the flywheel is secure..!!

If spark is good try running (bumpstarting) alongside bike , in 2nd / 3rd / 4th gear

you may well find you can get it to fire / run a little doing this.

The water in the cylinder issue is a BIg ????????,

the inner black ~O-ring looked worse than the orange outer o-ring.

If you are concerned about water in the cylinder stopping it firing, drain off all the coolant and then run alongside the bike and see if it runs, a few seconds of running Dry will not kill the motor,

and if you can repeatedly start the bike using this method... then refill with coolant and see if you can still run it.

The cylinder area on a 2-stroke is essentially a sealed system with only the inlet (reads and Carb) and the outlet ( exhaust),

Have you replaced the o-rings recently yourself?,

as this and worn barrel /rings are the only obvious area of concern.

good luck, and let us know how it goes,

Charlie

WRE 125 wont kick but will bump

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hello im having trouble with my WRE 125, its an 03 model and ran perfectly fine till i was going up a hill on road, i was in the band in 4th and then it just died. it wouldnt kick over but i managed to bump it down a very big hill. I thought "okay its going to be fine" but when i went to open it up it started to bog down and die again.

summed up my problem is: wont kick but bumps with extra effort and bogs at high revs.

I have taken my carb apart and cleaned it, everything seems fine apart from a tiny hole in the standard dellorto carbs float chamber casing which i have been meaning to ask another owner of the same carb if its a overflow or ment to be covered... i have no idea.

im about to try my friends spark plug to see if its due to a weak spark but if not the only other thing i can think it is is air/fuel mixture (which i thought unlikely because is wad running fine 2 minutes before it happend)

Also just for extra info when im at full throttle in a higher gear than 2nd its sounds abit like its misfiring but again im not sure, it sounds like the fuel isnt igniting most of the time and some times the bike twitches where im holding full throttle but it aint working rite and theres an occasional ignition on the piston. im CONFUSED

[EDIT]: i have now tried it with a different spark plug with which the bike would kick over with the choke on but no matter how long its left to warm up it dies when i take the choke off. put my own spark plug back in after the engine itself was warmed up and it wouldn't kick over at all!

This was your first post, when the bike packed in.

Has it ever ran since then, you made a comment about buying 2 piston kits for the second time in 2 months. Why?

When you changed the piston did you drain the water first or just unbolt the cylinder and let the water run out and possible into the crank cases?

What spark plug are you using?

It will take a fair amount of water in the crank case to stop it firing, remove the expansion pipe and kick, kick and kick, you'll soon know if theres water in there. A few droplets won't affect it.

Did you use new gaskets when you rebuilt the top end? (mainly base gasket)

What condition was the cylinder bore in?

Have you removed the flywheel with a possibilty of stripping the keyway? Any bike shop that has done a repair on your flywheel probably would have been competent in what they were doing.

The conclusion we came to originally was that your bike had seized or nearly seized ( we need to remember that it is impossible for someone to diagnose a fault by descriptions only over the internet, without seeing the bike for real it is all assumptions and educated guess work)

Did you find out the original reason why it packed in in the first place, if it was a piston seizure beacause of the autolube pump failing, has this been rectified.

varescrazy is right you have to get back to basics, spark, compression, clean air filter, check for blocked exhaust, check your crank keyway, carb.

Plus I would drain your fuel tank, make a pre-mix of 125ml to 5L of fuel, disconnect your autolube pipe to your carb and block it off carb side until you test your autolube pump.

This bike's got history, to start a new post like you have will not get you the correct advice.

The WRE 125, here in the UK, is autolube.

The WRE is not a competition machine, it's a european (UK) specific model that is road legal plus heavily restricted due to UK learner legal laws.

The WRE 125, here in the UK, is autolube.

The WRE is not a competition machine, it's a european (UK) specific model that is road legal plus heavily restricted due to UK learner legal laws.

learn something everyday..

fist thing id do, is unhook that, and mix in the tank...

they were a POS in the 60,s and 70,s and still cheesy..

iv been out of the 2 stroke game for a while, all my smokers are 99 and older.

chris, i did get the bike going ater that other time. It was damage to the piston.

Thanks to all of you for the help and ideas, the bikes upside down at the moment draining crap out of the crank.

after i got the piston changed because of the damage it was fine. I have had a better look at this piston this time round and there is alot of damage to the piston and a very very worn ring on one half the diameter of the piston so im going to say thats the problem.

What could be causing this to happen so often? i would assume the auto lube wasnt working efficiently?

Ditch the autolube or buy another new autolube pump so as you can be sure it's 100% working.

To be really honest I would premix, you can not put your faith again in the autolube pump on your bike until it is replaced.

You only have these 2 options, premix or replace autolube pump, I can't stress this enough, this is probably the cause of both your piston failures.

Of course this is only my opinion and I may be wrong, leaking crank seals may be causing a lean condition or the piston ring may not have been located correctly on it's location lug, but this would have made the piston difficult to fit into the cylinder but not impossible.

yeah i have already decided to premix, had enough of worrying about the auto system a while back.

I dont think it would be anything to do with the flywheel as it was in the shop not to long ago for the flywheel.

Spark plug is fine as i bought a brand new one and no more liquid in the crank so i dont notice so much build up on top of the piston anymore, but still no luck.

Another new piston it is...