Sign in to follow this  

Vintage shock ????

I know its not a Thumper, however I am stumped. I am restoring a 1980 YZ125. I can not seem to find what the Nitrogen pressure is for the rear shock. I have called several suspension guys here in Dallas TX and they all laugh. All of the 2 smoke forums laugh as well. The manual say to take it to your local Yamaha dealer, they fall on the floor???

Need to see if one of the Thumper guys can shed some light???:banana:

Edited by Cyclepop

No laughing matter! I love those old bikes! In fact, after I finish my 79 CR125, I think my next project will be a Glover replica 1980 YZ125. Bottom line is: you need to find a suspension guy who wasn't in diapers when that bike was new! (Like me, for instance)

As for pressure, I'd run it at 175 - 180psi. Those older shocks with the way the valving system works, seem to work better at that pressure.

Give me a call if you have any other questions on it. I'd be glad to help! 623-463-3488

Thanks, that is what I am getting is 175-190. Cant wait until this is done, I had a 79' RM125 and I remember when the 80' YZ125 came out I wanted one so bad. But at $1950 out the door it was more money than I had ever seen :banana:

makes ya think when these new hot rods are 6k +