Sign in to follow this  

New Exhaust for Me....

So I pulled the trigger on a supertrap slip on. Im around 6280' altitude. Do I need to re-jet once I put this exhaust on? If so, do I go up 1 size on the mail and pilot jet?

No modifications to carb (no daves mods) and everthing is stock in the engine. My air box is not tampered with either... ie still have the snorkle

I dont know what jets are in there now.

How many plates do I keep in this thing and do I need jets? I can also open up the snorkle if recomended.

Thanks in advance

Just an amateurs opinion but if your puttin on an aftermarket exhaust I would go all the way and do daves mods. Plus there free, thats the best price for an upgrade. I still have the stock exhaust (soon to change) and with Daves mods my pig runs great. Don't know much about the jetting, I'm still trying to figure mine out, so I'll leave that to the experts. I'm sure they will be along with an answer pretty soon. Enjoy the new pipe! Cheers!

Just an amateurs opinion but if your puttin on an aftermarket exhaust I would go all the way and do daves mods. Plus there free, thats the best price for an upgrade. I still have the stock exhaust (soon to change) and with Daves mods my pig runs great. Don't know much about the jetting, I'm still trying to figure mine out, so I'll leave that to the experts. I'm sure they will be along with an answer pretty soon. Enjoy the new pipe! Cheers!

Thanks man and I appreciate the advise. I read on the rocky mountian forum here that Daves Mods dont do much at all in the way of performance at this altitude.... otherwise I would. My buddy w/ a KTM LC4 is doing wheelies all the time and I wish I could too but with this altitude and low compression its a lost cause....

Without changing your intake and jetting, the bike will run WORSE, not better. The stock jetting is already lean, which is what the dave's mod is supposed to fix. Leaner is better at higher altitudes, but the pipe will lean it even more.

Do dave's mod first and open the intake, then put on the pipe.

yeah, I really dont want to mess with my carb. I read on another thread 152 and 52 are the reasonable starting points for jetting. Ill try this.

A new pipe will only make it noisier. Your money would have been better spent on suspension, protection, tires, gas, oil etc. The new pipe might let more exhaust out quicker if there was more going in. But because of this altitude, there is a lot less going in, so a pipe is a moot point. Remove the snorkle unless you need it for inspection. More gains there than with the pipe. KEEP THE BIKE QUIET!!!!! Be stealthy. Loud pipes close trails and bring UNWANTED negative attention to you and your buddies.

Just my $.002

A new pipe will only make it noisier. Your money would have been better spent on suspension, protection, tires, gas, oil etc. The new pipe might let more exhaust out quicker if there was more going in. But because of this altitude, there is a lot less going in, so a pipe is a moot point. Remove the snorkle unless you need it for inspection. More gains there than with the pipe. KEEP THE BIKE QUIET!!!!! Be stealthy. Loud pipes close trails and bring UNWANTED negative attention to you and your buddies.

Just my $.002

Thanks... wish I read this before I bought the pipe.... I do agree about keeping it quiet and I know a pipe makes it loud. Its going on the bike as I know Fed Ex is delivering it as I speak.

removing snorkel and upping the jetting. thanks

Edited by 1997 XR650L
spelling

Thanks... wish I read this before I bought the pipe.... I do agree about keeping it quiet and I know a pipe makes it loud. Its going on the bike as I know Fed Ex is delivering it as I speak.

removing snorkel and upping the jetting. thanks

IF it's one of those "stackable plates" dealios, fewer plates = less noise. Tune it towards low noise, and it should be ok. Edited by bongodave

Ok, Ok, lets take a look at the situation and help you make some decisions. First, you have a new Supertrapp coming. Fantastic! So why did you pull the trigger and buy the pipe. Cuz it looks cool, will sound cool, and improve performance right? Come on, that is why you bought the pipe!

So you don’t wanna rejet cuz your high. Well you can do the searches and figure out what appropriate jetting will be for your piggy. But as long as you are putting on the pipe you may as well rejet. Better yet you could even complete Dave’s mods. The whole idea is to give you a minor boost in performance and give you a major boost in throttle response all at very little cost. The end result is mainly to put a smile on your face when you roll on the gas!

It is easy to pull the snorkel, rejet the carb and install the aftermarket pipe. That is why everyone is harping on you to do Dave’s mods. You may be able to get away with putting on the trapp and not Re-jet but you will be lean! Even you mile high dudes can’t ignore jetting when messing with your intake or exhaust. If you don’t want to play with the carb that is cool. It won’t cost much for a shop to re-jet for you. If you want to try it yourself there are folks here that can help you through it. Hell maybe even Dave (who at this moment is somewhere near Courtland NY) will offer some advice. The choice is yours. And don’t worry, your trap is quieter than the average Harley!

Enjoy the pig, enjoy the ride!

thanks man, I am re-jetting and de-snorkleing the bike. Dont want to Daves Mods because someone here in Colorado said it doesnt do much in the altitude and to be honest, I want to keep this bike for a very long time and dont want to mess up a perfectly good carb.... and it may be great for others I dont want to.

so, that said I guess my original question is what jets sizes will I use? 52/152 sound right?

also, stock bike.... how many plates do I keep in it? 70% (whatever that works out to be??) I heard leave them all in if you have a tricked out motor w/ an upgraded cam, high compression, etc

lastly, do I figure how may plates I keep in the exhaust and the jet from there?

bogging down I have the jets too big

white plug I have it too small?

this is all new to me

Edited by 1997 XR650L
spelling

Not sure on the high altitude jetting 52 / 152 does not sound unreasonable. You need to search some threads and see what other 6000' dudes are running. You also need to search about your silencer. Haven't had a supertrapp in years. Could start with all of the spacers and see how the noise is.

searchfirst.gif