Sign in to follow this  

K&N Air Filters for the YZ 4 Stroke? Good Idea?

I got a 2009 YZF 250. I am trying to decide on if I should buy the K&N Air filter or not. Does it really help at all with the HP? Also how often would you have to clean it anyway since you really have to do it after every ride with the regular ones anyway. I know it depends on the dust in the air and all but anyone got any insight to this and or experience already with the filters?

Thanks,

Eric

Do a K&n Air Filter search. If you think you are confused now, wait until you read the research. Alot of good points to use them and alot of good points not too. I use them on a 05 WR250F and Like them. The bike breathes better and is clean as a whistle on the inside. Cleaning them is a snap, which I do approx. every 10th ride. Good Luck.

I personally would not use them for any off road riding. My friend had used one and said every time he would clean it their would be a lot of grime in the boot. That was racing mx though, maybe it would be alright for trails

Thanks guys. I would be riding MX so yea I seen how dusty it can get. The info helped out a lot.

Thats a bunch of Bs.I have a K&N in both my 08 yz250f and my 03 crf450 and I ride Mx and it gets very dusty sometimes and not a drop of dust dirt or anything ever got through. The K&N is a very good filter. Oh I have had the K&N on my 08 since day one and it has 129 hours still on stock piston and valves,and have not moved one drop.

Thats a bunch of Bs.I have a K&N in both my 08 yz250f and my 03 crf450 and I ride Mx and it gets very dusty sometimes and not a drop of dust dirt or anything ever got through. The K&N is a very good filter. Oh I have had the K&N on my 08 since day one and it has 129 hours still on stock piston and valves,and have not moved one drop.

Well how often do you clean it then? Thats what I am kinda wondering about anyway if I were to get it.

You can actually go longer without cleaning it. I go at least 5 rides sometimes more. When you get the K&N they will give you a rubber seal make sure you use it. I always used a neoprene seal on all my bikes so no more grease on the lip of the air filter. Don't let other people scare you the K&N works great.

You can actually go longer without cleaning it. I go at least 5 rides sometimes more. When you get the K&N they will give you a rubber seal make sure you use it. I always used a neoprene seal on all my bikes so no more grease on the lip of the air filter. Don't let other people scare you the K&N works great.

Thats bs. The k+n just magically repels all dust and you dont have to clean it. Every air filter you'd have to clean just as much as the next one

I run a TwinAir with a second Flo filter on top of that. This combo has not allowed a spec of dirt thru in over a year of use. I do clean the setup, and it comes out dirty with just a chemical wash. The trick is to wash the foam filters with soap and water after you wash them insolvents. The second washing gets another layer of dirt out that the first washing misses. After they dry, I oil them up with that sticky BelRay filter oil.

Edited by ronbuell

I run a TwinAir with a second Flo filter on top of that. This combo has not allowed a spec of dirt thru in over a year of use. I do clean the setup, and comes out dirt. The trick is to wash the foam filters with soap and water after you wash them insolvents. The second washing gets another layer of dirt out that the first washing misses. After they dry, I oil them up with that sticky BelRay filter oil.

Sounds just about right and what I used to do like years ago when I was racing back in the day.

Depending on how much you ride you may want to look in to the ready or no toil throw away filters. I keep a bunch of these around in case and I have a few of the twin air filters that I clean and re-use. I've never used the k&n's on a dirtbike but I imagine you'd have to clean it about as much as any other filter, it would just look less dirty due to it's color. I know on my streetbikes here in FL they would have all kinds of sand in them from just street riding, but that's the filter doing it's job!

I wold think a filter that gets dirty fast, and has no dirt or grime in the boot, thats a good filter. When a filter gets dirty, its doing its job. One that doesn't get dirty in the same conditions, probably isnt catching the dirt

I wold think a filter that gets dirty fast, and has no dirt or grime in the boot, thats a good filter. When a filter gets dirty, its doing its job. One that doesn't get dirty in the same conditions, probably isnt catching the dirt

I hear that! Yea I use the Notoil products right now. My dad is sponsored by them so we get a lot at 50% off anyway. Not a bad idea then. I will be riding almost every weekend as soon as the darn weather stops raining all the time.