DR650 rear brake sticking!!! HELP!!!

This morning on my way to work, my rear brake pedal seemed to be drooping a Lil' bit. When I got here, the rear disc had what looked like scorch sections on it, and the outer edge had turned blue. Is there a way to fix this? Bleeding the brakes maybe? I need to at least get home. Any help will be nice. Thanks.

This morning on my way to work, my rear brake pedal seemed to be drooping a Lil' bit. When I got here, the rear disc had what looked like scorch sections on it, and the outer edge had turned blue. Is there a way to fix this? Bleeding the brakes maybe? I need to at least get home. Any help will be nice. Thanks.

If your pedal was dropping your pedal return spring is missing?? Not the little spring for your brake light switch...

Edited by mx_rob

You don't say how old your bike is, but maybe one of the pistons in rear caliper has seized. There is one on each side in your caliper. Inspect it's operation- you'll need to remove the rear wheel but leave the caliper in place in it's holder on the swingarm(leave brake line attached) and press rear brake pedal- you should see the pads close up leaving no gap where the disc normally is. Try and get a screwdriver of a fairly decent size in between your brake pads and lever them apart again. Try not to damage your pads in the process. If they are difficult to get apart again, then that's probably your problem. The brake pedal spring if missing will only not only stop the brake pedal from returning back up to it's proper position but also prevent the plunger at the bottom of your rear brake cylinder from returning and therefore may leave some pressure applied to rear brake pads and score the disc or make it get really hot.Whenever you are in doubt about brake fluid, that is, whether there's enough or whether it might need changing, I suggest you just do it. Brake fluid is hydroscopic meaning it absorbs water through the lines and that will give you a spongy feel at the lever (front or back) and also lowers the boiling point of the fluid, therefore your brakes are more likely to fade under hard braking and could fail when you need them most. Change it and bleed the system while working on your brakes-You might as well while you are there.

Even if a pad had seized the pedal shouldn't be drooping. Sounds like the return spring went missing. Just the weight of the pedal on the master cylinder piston would have been enough to slightly activate the rear brake. Of course the brake light would also be lit up all the time also.

This is what it looks like. The spring is present, It may have become weak though. The DR is an '07 DR650SE. I don't think that the spring would have been the problem already but i did notice that I could pull the pedal up slightly after being pushed down. Maybe it is a problem with the master cylinder.... ?????

2010-03-11_120145.jpg

2010-03-11_120152.jpg