Sign in to follow this  

Need New Fork Springs Help....

I have a 09 RMZ450 i weigh 200lbs and i think i need stiffer springs in the front forks. what do i need to do any ideas guys....

Go onto factory connection or other suspension websites and use the spring calculator. I weigh the same as you and went up I think 1 or 2 steps. I actually called them and spoke about riding and what I wanted and the recommended the same as the calculator predicted. Big improvement, no more mushing out on the jump faces and setting your clickers stiffer to adjuster. I used my book and changed them out no problem.

You need to know more than just the riders weight when calculating a spring rate.

How you ride (do you tend to lean back or ride the front end), where you are riding (MX, XC or Trails), your actual ability (Nov., Inter., Ex.) and even your height because shorter riders that tend to "ride the front end" put more weight on the forks than a taller rider of equal weight but still rides the front end. Even the difference between riding on the balls of your feet verses the insteps, make a difference. Because riding on the balls of your feet means that you tend to bounce the rear more and unload the front end more, if you are not sure about that one then check your boots.

In any case, a good suspension tuner will ask you all of those questions before they even consider messing with your suspension. If they don't keep looking. And for what it's worth Michigan Engineering does exactly that http://www.mei-inc.com/machine/ The guy is sharp, he even owns a shock and fork dyno. And being a Mechanical Engineer with a PE (Professional Engineer) he knows and really understands what he's doing.

I'm around 210 and not particularly fast... I went with a set of .49 k on my 08.... stock was .47.. if I had it to do again, I would probably pick .50.. I'm the king of not quite getting over things cleanly and if your gonna case it 3 times a lap you need big springs....:banana: