Sign in to follow this  

2001 xr200 carb help

Ok so i picked up a 2001 xr200 for $450 today. It doesnt run. The guy said it ran all summer without any problems then he put it in his garage for the winter. He tried to start it up recently and it didnt. It has compression, spark, but no gas gets into the cylinder so im assuming it is a carb thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Like what should i check, what should i do, or any helpful links. Thanks.... Drew

Turn the fuel petcock off, remove fuel line from either the carb or petcock.

Take a philips screwdriver and remove the clamp from the airbox to the carb.

Take out the two bolts that hold the carb and intake to the motor.

Pull the vent line off the carb.

Pull the carb from inside the bike, On top of the carb you will see where your throttle cable enters the carb. That cap is removable. Unscrew it and pull the contents out. Should be a slide, spring and needle.

Clean the carb with carb cleaner, careful not to loose any of the jets, springs or orings. Make sure you spray in all the tubes and channels. Make sure and remove the float bowl from the bottom of the carb and clean around the floats.

That is the idle mixture screw and initial adjustment depends on year/model of your bike but 1 1/2 turns out is a good starting point.

On this screw are 3 items you need to be careful not to lose, they install on the screw in this order; the spring, a washer, and a "O" ring.

For cleaning carbs check out: Cleaning Carbs

that is an extremely helpful link. I found that if you open the pictures at the bottom of the first post I am missing that yellow plastic thing on the main jet, and also my fuel line has no fuel filter in the line. only in the tank. the tube goes straight from the fuel shut-off valve to the carburetor. Are these problems?

Potentially because I've found the tank filters are IMO too porus or damaged. Without a good filter stuff in the tank will get into the carb. I had one bike that I had been riding every week suddenly develop hard cold starting and poping on decel. I found some small black bits in the carb that got past the tank filter; I should have installed a filter when I bought the bike but I thought the tank filter would protect.

These bike often sit for extended periods between rides during which gas in the carburetor evaporates leaving deposits than can plug jets.

ok i have cleaned it a few times, it is clean with no obstructions. all passageways are clear. I cleaned the air filter also. but i tried starting it with a little bit of brand new gas and it wouldnt go. After kicking until i flooded the carb i took out the spark plug and it had gas on it so gas is getting into the cylinder. And i tried for a spark grounding it on the block and i saw the blue arc. So what could be wrong now? Any suggestion?

I'm surprised you have a wet plug, that could indicate too high a float level. A little shot of starting fluid will get it started and then you will know more based on how it runs.

One way to clear a flooded engine is choke off, full throttle, and slowly kick it thru 10 times.

for the mixture screw i dont have the washer, and not sure about the O-ring. If i dint have these what effect will it have on the bike? and what should i do about the float level to check it?

ok so i tried starting with some starting fluid to no avail., Also a small film of gas seems to leak out of the carb after i try to start it. I am getting really frustrated. I dont know what's wrong! please help! what else can i do?

great more problems. all of a sudden the clutch became really hard to pull in, and it like clicks as i try to pull it in. anyone please help. this stupid bike is really annoying me.

Edited by klmt

Ok, i have found what i think could possibly be my problem. The idle mixture screw was just screwed in all the way, there is no o-ring, washer or spring on it.

If your leaking fuel out of the carb then your floats are out of adj, or the valve is not closing off the fuel flow.