Sign in to follow this  

What the hell is going on with this wheel bearing and spacer?!?!?!

Guys,

Took delivery of my supermoto wheels today, and I checked the bearings for smoothness on the front, no problems.

The rear, however, has one spacer separately that pops in easily, and the other side, the 'spacer' doesn't appear to come out at all, kind of like it is pressed into the hub like a wheel bearing is pressed in!

If I twist the spacer, and look through the other side of the hub, the entire inside of the hub is spinning around with the spacer, they are all completely locked together.

I wouldn't be too bothered, but it doesn't turn easily, it feels gritty and full of resistance.

What is going on here? How is this set up???

EDIT: I've pulled the spacer (well drifted it out)

It sits inside the two bearings on the drive side, is this standard DR-Z set up for bearings or am I going to struggle to find the right bearings?

pics:

img00082201003112055.jpg

img00081201003112053.jpg

img00080201003112053.jpg

Edited by Brick-top

This pic might give you a better idea of the depth of the spacer, and how far inside the hub it seems to go...

img00079201003111953.jpg

No idea what the hubs are, or how I'm gonna get new bearings and or get that spacer out!

Did you get them used?? If so, don't assume ANYTHING about how well the PO treated them...I would change ALL bearings, F&R just to be on the safe side...That gritty resistance you are feeling doesn't sound good...and that grease in the first photo looks WELL used...change em out...it's very cheap insurance...

No problem with pressing bearings in/out generally, but what the **** is going on with this spacer, it seems to be connected to the rest of the bearings and the inner of the hub.

Should the entire inside of the hub spin round like that? I thought it was just the bearings that spin (thats how the front spins).

The outboard spacers, from each side, should come in and out easily..only thing that holds them in( when wheel is off bike) are the seals. Then there should be two bearings on the drive side( not sure why..Suzuki knows), the metal tube spacer in hub, and the brake disc side wheel bearing.

If someone somehow jammed the outboard spacer into the bearing, it may be what you are experiencing.

I just replaced all my wheel bearings and seals last weekend( on a 2000 DRZ 400 kicker). If you need new bearings, which is sounds like to do, see this thread:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=870472&highlight=

OK I just remembered I am beingg retarded.

There is a tube inside the hub. that I need to push out the way with a screwdriver so I can hammer the bearings out.

I'm guessing the spacer won't come out because the bearings are seized and I need to drive it out with a drift.

OK I just remembered I am beingg retarded.

There is a tube inside the hub. that I need to push out the way with a screwdriver so I can hammer the bearings out.

I'm guessing the spacer won't come out because the bearings are seized and I need to drive it out with a drift.

Yeah, drive out brake disc side bearing first..easier.., then tube will come out and you can bang out drive side bearings next.

I'm hoping standard DRZ bearings will fit in these hubs!!

The front hub looks exactly trhe same as my E wheels, but the rear looks different although seems to be the same size.

This depends on the configuration of the wheelset so.

You have 3 bearings. 2 should be the same and have a spacer between them. The 3rd at the sprocket can have several different types. I don't remember the DRZ spacer config. When you run a cush drive the spacer goes inside the outer bearing so there is no clamp up on the outer bearing. It is a thrust bearing.

It looks to me from the picture (guessing) that the outer spacer runs in and clamps up against the inner bearing. All you see on the outside is the heavy seal. The fit is probably tight in the outer bearing and you see inside to the edge of the inner bearing.

OK I've driven the spacer out, it was stuck through the outer and inner bearing, and then meets up with the cylinder that sits inbetween all the bearings.

There are two bearings on the sprocket side, a thick and a thin one in terms of width. they are the same inside diamater though?? The spacer then goes through both of these bearings, and the wheel axle must go through the spacer, and then through the tube in the hub then through the other bearing.

img00082201003112055.jpg

img00081201003112053.jpg

img00080201003112053.jpg

I can't remember what the DR-Z rear bearing configuration is, are they all the same inside diameter?

Am I going to have an absolute nightmare trying to get the right sodding bearings?

I'd try to find out where that wheel came from because that is not a DR-Z hub.

The DR-Z axle is supported directly by the bearings. The spacers rest against the inner race and do not extend into the bearing like yours do.

That is a cast hub. So production from somebody. Aftermarket machine everything. Measure the bearings and go to an online catalog. Bearings are a pretty standard catalogue item. Don't panic, yet.

OK I've pulled the bearings, and they have the following stamped on them

there are 2 x 6005 RS

and 1 x 16005.

Can anyone confirm if these are the same as DR-Z bearings? if not I need to cancel my order.

Hmm there's a big bearing warehouse round the corner from me.

I'll go there tomorrow and see if they have the relevant oil seals too!

The P/O has done a burn out with the rear wheel on too, as I can see the molten tyre and gauges from the tarmac! :banana:

Cheers,

Con

Did you try and fit the wheel before you found the spacer issue? I'd have been tempted to check it fits before shelling out for new bearings.

The seal spacer you show is KTM style. It adapts a lager ID bearing to a smaller axle.

KTM's do this to use bigger bearings. Some Hondas do too. The seal spacer adapts the bearing bore, goes all the way thru the bearing ID, and aligns the center spacer. And, as you have figured out, bearings are no problem to get.

time for bed. I'm answering the first page:bonk: