Sign in to follow this  

Pick up my new '09 250xc-w - Jetting question

Hi everyone,

First post here! Great site. I'm gonna pick up my new ride next week, a new '09 250XC-W, my second KTM(coming from a '02 400EXC). I have a question that hopefully someone can give me some direction. I understand 2 strokes are jetted from the factory for sea level use, right now I am located in Calgary, Canada and the elevation is 3438 ft(1048 m). Is it safe for me to ride around with stock jetting at this elevation until I figure out what the best settings for me are? Am I damaging the engine in any way? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I have never purchased a new bike before.

Thanks!

I think you'd be fine. If your assumption is correct [and I think it is] you'd be running rich at your altitude. So you will be blubbery and will sputter a bit.

FWIW -- I bought a JD Jet kit. I simply use his recommended settings for the altitude and its been pretty close to spot on at most times.

I think you'd be fine. If your assumption is correct [and I think it is] you'd be running rich at your altitude. So you will be blubbery and will sputter a bit.

FWIW -- I bought a JD Jet kit. I simply use his recommended settings for the altitude and its been pretty close to spot on at most times.

Thanks boisedave, I'll look into the JD Jetting Kit for my bike. It looks like according to your sig, I am gonna have the exact same bike, Rekluse equipped as well:thumbsup:.

You can also try the leaner needle that comes with the bike and red power valve spring. A 38 pilot would be advised with the leaner needle and a 168 or 170 main. It wil run ok stock but much better leaned out a bit on the needle.

Hi everyone,

First post here! Great site. I'm gonna pick up my new ride next week, a new '09 250XC-W, my second KTM(coming from a '02 400EXC). I have a question that hopefully someone can give me some direction. I understand 2 strokes are jetted from the factory for sea level use, right now I am located in Calgary, Canada and the elevation is 3438 ft(1048 m). Is it safe for me to ride around with stock jetting at this elevation until I figure out what the best settings for me are? Am I damaging the engine in any way? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I have never purchased a new bike before.

Stock jetting is a little rich for most places I have lived, but for this time of year is probably pretty close for your elevation. The owner's manual has a jetting chart in the back. we have found for tresa's 2007 250xcw that this chart has been pretty accurate and useful. I've used jd kits in other bikes, but i wouldn't bother in a 2009 unless there is some specific characteristic you don't like about the stock needle.

if you run a little rich, that is not a bad thing at all. I usually run the first tank of gas through the bike before i think about adjusting the jetting leaner for the conditions. even if you're a little lean, that's not a big deal. If you're alot lean, and you're hard on the throttle in deep sand, that's a problem.

I live in Edmonton and bought an 09 300 xc in late September and find the stock jetting to be rich until about 0c or 32f so I would say it should be fine for the break in.

The jetting chart in the back of the manual should be your starting point. For temperatures around 50-78 F at 3500', you should be good with N8RW-3 or N8RJ-3, a 35 pilot, 162 or 165 main, and 1/2-1.5 turns out from all the way in on the air screw. I just raced at 65F 3500' with N8RW-3 and those settings and it worked fine. The bike should have come with those two needles (mine came with J, W, H) and there's no need to buy after market stuff to make the bike work at your altitude.

Thanks for all the info guys. I pick up my bike in a week and a half. I'm gonna run a tank with the stock jetting and go from there. Glad to hear additional needles come with the bike and a jetting manual with charts and settings!!!

some dealers adjust the jetting for the area, so ask them if they have adjusted it or not.

I have the same bike as you and it was two steps rich on the main jet in stock form which wouldn't allow the bike to lug well at all. It was a boggy mess on the low end but pulled fine up top. Unless it's pretty cold where you are, at your elevation don't be surprised if the bike feels weak in the low to mid range or sputters some.

Also, don't be afraid to switch jets out if needed. All you need to do is remove the front chain guard, rotate the carb, remove the drain plug, and you can access both the idle/pilot and main jet. It's about a 10 minute deal.