Sign in to follow this  

2002 mxc 520 tune up?

My friend purchased an 02 520. He has not rode the bike ever and has been sitting garaged for 2 years. he had a series of accidents. He isnt mechanicaly inclined and asked me to help get it set up to ride. We changed out the fuel,oil,2oil filters,cleaned 2 oil screens,spark plug,and I fired it up. The bike was very strong and seemed to be well taken care of by previous owner. Themachine seemed stall prone even after an idle adjustment. it also was hit or miss on restarting. maybe I dont know the start drill well,I chose not to use the compression release. Also the bike boiled over after i rode it for 5 minutes or so the let it idle on the stand while i took my gear off. I am waiting for a batterey from the shop to test out the electric start.I was thinking he might need a coolant catch tank and a fan. The previous owner suggested maybe a valve adjustment. btw I am mostly a 2st guy except pushrod v twins. I do have the service manual. The seat is like a brick on this thing. Any suggestions,reccomendations on this bike? I wish i had enough land to get it outa 2nd gear! thing rips! I am afraid my friend will hurt himself on this!

The first thing you need to do is adjust the valves. Go to youtube and search KTM valve adjustment. Travis shows you the easy way to adjust the valves. Valve adjustment will more than likely correct the hard starting issue and pour idling. As for the overheating, if you're not going to be moving soon, shut it off. These bikes will get hot just sitting, especially after riding. I'd do some riding on it before deciding on the fan. I route my overflow tube onto my exhaust pipe so I can hear steam. then I know I need to either go faster (preferred) or give it a break. Find out if the previous owner did the cam gear and cam bearing updates.

You probably need to take the carb apart, clean it, and clean or replace the jets. Gas sitting in the carb for a long period of time fouls things up, especially the pilot jet, which will make the bike hard to start, idle like shit if it will idle at all without the choke on, and it will run lean which causes overheating. After you get that done you should check the valves, but if the carb is a mess a valve adjustment won't do squat.

Edited by OldeDude

thanks,I guess i will clean the jets or just replace them. Its funny my kx 250 sits all winter sometimes longer and fires right up. Every 4 stroke that sits the fking carb needs to be rebuilt!