Sign in to follow this  

Anyone running knobbies on their SM wheels?

I have a friend with a 400SM looking for a matching set of knobbies. Mainly hardpack, gravel/fire roads, with some soft terrain. An intermediate tire would probably be best, but I presume a compromise will need to be made to find what he is looking for.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Conti TKC80 works like a charm.

I had to put a rear tire on both rims, but it worked really well.

4&file=tracktor_medium.jpg

4&file=imgp4321sm_medium.jpg

Edited by beaufort

I was using the MT21's with a rear up front as well. They provide fairly good traction especailly over stock tires in gravel and dirt and mud. I did notice the front tire caused the bike to dip over when turning. It was not unmanageable, but nerve racking at first. I am changing over to S tires hopefully soon. More options of tires and better suited for what I am doing/want to do with my bike.

the bug

I rode with a friend who used the kenda 270 front and rear. It worked very well in every siituation and was a bit cheaper.

I rode with a friend who used the kenda 270 front and rear. It worked very well in every siituation and was a bit cheaper.

I ran that combo last year. 4.60 front and 5.10 rear.

100_0580.jpg

It was the cheapest route and worked well enough for what it was. Front traction was less than desired due to the fat front. Rear only really suffered once it got muddy.

Ive gone to an 18/21 combo for this year.

Just for the record, I think the SM model DRZ's with those fat dirt tires looks pretty dang cool. Makes me want one. Also for the inverts.