Sign in to follow this  

Chain help fast!!!!!!

SO im putting on a new chain right now and i had trouble with it at first. I had to adjust my axle blocks all the way until the bolts they touch were right next to the nuts on the swingarm, all the way in. I got the master link on and on each side of the post goes the x ring i put them both on but cant get the clip on to secure the chain. What do i do?

use a c-clamp to press the outer plate on then flat ended pliers to snap the clip on.

did you cut the chain too short? it seems odd to have to bring the adjuster blocks all the way forward.

i ordered a 49 vs 48 rear and over looked the chain length because of the larger rear sprocket. can i use vice grips with a rag over the chain to not hurt it.

1 tooth is not going to be the issue and will not effect thhe chain fitting.are you sure you got that right chain? Also, if it i s that tight, get another chain.

ok so the chain fits and everything and i got the master link on but how do i secure the clip?

how do i get the clip on

it should snap on pretty easily with a pair of flat-nosed pliers. set the clip on the m. link with the open end facing to the rear with the opening right up against the rear rivet, a little grease helps it stick to the plate so it doesn't keep falling off on you. put one of the pliers jaws behing the front pin and the other jaws on the clip and squeeze. it should snap right on if the plate is pressed on far enough. let us know if you can't get it.

GOT IT!!! First sprocket/chainreplacement successful. thanks guys!

GOT IT!!! First sprocket/chainreplacement successful. thanks guys!

the real test comes when you break the chain 10 miles from the truck with minimal tools.:banana: hopefully you don't take that test anytime soon. it sucks. i carry a motionpro mini press and spare master after a difficult lesson learned.

it should snap on pretty easily with a pair of flat-nosed pliers. set the clip on the m. link with the open end facing to the rear with the opening right up against the rear rivet, a little grease helps it stick to the plate so it doesn't keep falling off on you. put one of the pliers jaws behing the front pin and the other jaws on the clip and squeeze. it should snap right on if the plate is pressed on far enough. let us know if you can't get it.

I like this method, I'll have to try it next time. I usually take a flat head screw driver against my thumb and try and push it on... Usually takes forever!