Sign in to follow this  

need help big guy on crf450r

I need help with my bike my kids got me back into racing motocross and ive put on lots of weight i weigh like 215 220 and my crf seems to bottom and and dont feel safe ive looked at buying heavier springs since i was told the crfs were ment for riders in the 160 to 180 range how hard is it to change the fork and rear springs and will that fix my problem feel like i cant get the bike to corner like i want feels like the front wants to wash out and like im gonna break my ankles when i jump something big or go through the whoops please help me

i'm 200 now and have a 05 crf450r i finally bought after market spring for the rear from diverse springs shipped it was 84 dollers. I can tell you the diffrence is night and day the bike now tracks way better and really wants to hug corners better and not bounce out and it is just smoother overall. The worse thing about it is why did i take so long to buy a new spring.

Are you 220# in your gear? If so, I'd suggest going up a rate front and rear. If you're actually closer to 240# ready to ride, you might want to go up two rates. What year is the bike?

Re-spring that bad boy its not hard at all.

front, here is a fork seal video, the spring is inside. Easy.

The rear of course is easier. Loosen yhe pre-load nuts and tap the spring seat back with a rubber mallet, Take out the little cir-clip and slide the spring seat and spring out.

And either use MX-tech spring caculator on their site or call Cannon Race craft for a suggestion. They two are the only ones that I have found to be accurate, at least with my needs for springs and I outweight you by 120 or so in gear.

thanks for all the help lookes easy in the video but my book lookes like i cant remove the spring from the top have to do it from the bottom on my 06 or the book is just i your rebuiling the shock

The forks springs are in the outer cartiridge. Once you seperate the two you can easily remove the sring from the lower fork tube. The spring just rests in the outer tube and press against the bottom of the fork lug, near where your axel mounts and the upper part rests against a spring seat. Eaasy. If you can do basic maintenance or change a tire or the simple things, this is comparable.

And the shock spring is as described above on a CRF, the spring seat is held on by the retaining clip.