Sign in to follow this  

Two issues - can anyone help?

Hi All,

I've had a decent search around the forum before posting this, and I haven't been able to find anything specific so I'll ask in the hope that someone can assist.....

My Australian 2010 DRZ-400SM has around 3200 kilimetres on the clock since being purchased new in October. No dirt use, not been dropped, etc. The bike was serviced by the original dealer at 1000 kilometres and there were no problems. Since receiving the bike back, I have noted two issues, perhaps due to the engine and components settling in.

1) There is a ticking/clicking noise coming from what I believe to be the right hand side of the engine and it's directly related to the rpms of the engine. Sounds a bit like something that spins inside the engine has a component coming loose, and that it's lightly tapping something as it spins. The sound is getting worse with each hour or so of riding.

2) When riding at a fixed speed, at perhaps half-rpm in any gear the bike feels like it's either surging, or cutting out slightly. Hard for me to describe, but the engine feels like it's not running well when held at a constant rpm. Issue not experienced during acceleration, just at constant speed/rpm.

The dealer really isn't interested and I feel like they are just telling me to go away. They tell me that the first issue is normal, and that to avoid the second issue, I should just change gears. I simply cannot believe that a noise that is getting worse by the hour is normal, and that the bike is designed to run poorly at fixed RPM.

Everyone has told me that the DR's are bulletproof!?

DRZ motors are on the noisy side of the spectrum, but if it is changing over time, I'm suggesting that you check your valve clearances. If you can't do this yourself, get the dealer (or a different dealer) to do it.

You need to read through the FAQs at the top of the forum and get rid of your Automatic Cam Chain Tensioner and replace it with a Manual one. You will see them referred to as the ACCT and MCCT respectively.

As for the second issue, did the dealer alter the jetting for you location, or just assemble and un-crate the bike. It sounds like the jetting isn't perfect and is causing some mild surging.

Get the bike checked by a competent mechanic!

Is the bike surging at any givin time or just low speed? Most f the stock surging problems that I have had my self or heard of have been low speed surgng between 1st. And 3rd. GeAr cruising. It's normal. As for the tick it would to me sounds somewhat normAl if it wasn't getting worse but seems to be your cam chain tensioner. Drz engines are very noisy compaired to most other brands and generaly takes a little time to get used to. But if the tick gets loud or starts to nock I'd park it and first try installing manual tensioner which aplys less pressure to the chain guide.

Noise - no way to diagnose here. Some noise is normal but I don't now if your noise is normal or not.

Surge - Common, perhaps normal and very annoying. Re-jetting can cure it. That is what JD and DynoJet jet kits are all about.

+1 on Nobles comment. Noise, surge, and mcct is a must. Loctite fix is a must. All of these problems are found in every brand of bike so hang out here and your drz brothers will help!

Check my video out, towards the end you get the clicking sound my engine makes

if its like mine from what ive read its normal, as others have said its just a noisy engine.

Stormwater , these bikes are bulletproof , as long as you do certain things . One of them is change the oil and filter every 1000 klms no question , and use a good oil . I would have changed my oil way before the first service . The noise you could be hearing is the fact your oil should have been changed over a 1000 klms ago . But having said that , they do make quite a lot of noise mechanically . The surging you mentioned is the result of the factory jetting . The only and best way to fix it is to rejet your carby and do the 3x3 . This will let the engine breath and get rid of the surging . The JD kit that you can get on this site is about the best you can buy for that and the dynojet kit comes a close second . If you can get a jet kit locally , dont pay too much , you can get them cheaper in the states . If you can afford it , get rid of the crap exhaust too . We dont even get the E tail pipe here and what they do give us is a piece of shite that weighs a ton and has a smaller diametre header pipe than the E . If you are looking for a pipe , the SSW/MRD , even with postage from the US of A , is still cheaper than anything you can buy in australia . If you are up for it , get rid of the solenoide and pair valve aswell . It is all part of the pollution gear , the pair valve puts air into the exhaust and changes CO2 readings , and the solenoide restricts your throttle in the lower gears , so you wont ever get full throttle . Anyway , welcome to the club and hope you enjoy the bike , greg :banana: