Sign in to follow this  

Need help on what tire to get

I ride a Husqvarna TE450 and the stock Michelin Enduro Comp tire need replacing. Here's my problem, I ride dirt roads (60 - 70 miles) every Sunday, but every other weekend we ride the trails in northern Michigan. Lots of sand. I need to find a tire that will perform well in both conditions and i'm pulling my hair out trying to decide. Any opinions?:banana:

I thought the Trakmaster II did really well in sand given its "all around" qualities, and I ride a lot of dirt roads with it too. Cheap, to boot.

FWIW..............I did some riding in FL in Jan and again last week. Before the Jan trip, I bought a Duro Excelerator HF 906 rear because it was cheap. The darn thing works great in sand & mud, haven't tried it on hardpack yet, have a few pavement miles on it, still looks good.

Pireli MT43. It has worked everywhere for me and the first one is finally about wore out at 2,000 miles.

I ran a D606 out back and a Kenda trackmaster 2 up front on my DRZ, the D606 in rear woked pretty well. The trackmaster 2 up front led to a few wash outs. Of course, the Z is a little heavy too. I really like the durability of the D606.

It's unlikely that you'll find a rear tire that'll last on that bike, unless you stop stretching the throttle cable....

I have a 08 TE450, I was able to get 500 miles out the stock Mich. comp III. I used them from black top, to gravel roads, fire roads, hard pack rocking trails, and on mud.

I read alot of good reviews on the MotoZ tires, and guys over on cafe husky getting really decent mileage out of them. I haven't been able to try them out yet, waiting on my suspension to get back from a spring and revalve job.

I ride a Husqvarna TE450 and the stock Michelin Enduro Comp tire need replacing. Here's my problem, I ride dirt roads (60 - 70 miles) every Sunday, but every other weekend we ride the trails in northern Michigan. Lots of sand. I need to find a tire that will perform well in both conditions and i'm pulling my hair out trying to decide. Any opinions?:lol:

I do the same kind of riding in Michigan and the Kenda Trakmaster II tires hold up on the dirt roads and work in the sand up north. :banana:

I am running a Michelin Desert and even though it comes with short knobs it wears like iron. You are not going to climb any big sand hills with it after 1000 miles but you can in the first 300. I have about 1300 on mine and it is half way done if your looking at what is was at first. The tire size is a 140/80/18 like stock so it is a big tire and DOT. Have the Karoo for the next up.

I use the Kenda track master on the back ,an a mich. on the front .The kenda is a good tire an cheap for around here,in tn an wnc. Theres not a whole lot of sand here ,so i dont know how it will work in the sand.the Mich. on the front is a real tire, an havent had a problem with it washing out, it last good too,

frieman602:thumbsup:

I have a 510-- the Michelins are really great for about 300 miles dirt or road, but that is simply not long enough for me. I replaced the rear with a Pirelli XCMH and slid out on the road (I was being stupid, but the Michelins slide a little more predictably)-- not quite as sticky as the stock tires, but almost no wear at 300 miles.

I also want to ride dirt and sand-- pine barrens in NJ. I am thinking the Pirelli XCMS (neither XCMH or XCMS are on Pirelli's website, possibly what they call the MT43s now?)-- they are the only D.O.T. tire I've found that is specifically for soft terrain, and they don't cost nearly as much as the Michelin Dessert ($130+ for rear tire!) However, reading this forum and looking for the perfect tire also, a lot of people swear by the Kendas, while others say they're not so good.

You might want to try a trials tire. I got my first one about 6 years ago and I'll never go back to a knobby. Plus, they last longer. And yes, they do work well in the sand. Not so good on the street, but I only use the pavement to connect the good stuff.

The Kenda TM is pretty good on the Back & cheep, but I do not like the front