Sign in to follow this  

Swingarm bearings or bushings?

I had my 1997 kdx suspension springs replaced by a local mechanic and instructed him to grease the bearings in the swingarm when doing the rear shock. To my suprise he found bushings, NO bearings. He said everything was perfect. Don't kdx's have bearings in the swingarm?

I had my 1997 kdx suspension springs replaced by a local mechanic and instructed him to grease the bearings in the swingarm when doing the rear shock. To my suprise he found bushings, NO bearings. He said everything was perfect. Don't kdx's have bearings in the swingarm?

They sure do,but he has to push the bushings out with his finger to get at them:thumbsup:Did he grease your linkage? The rear shock bearing is prone to seize.

Ahh ha... He said everything looked great, well greased etc. I planned on doing new steering head bearings mid-season, I'll go through the whole rear end too. Thanks!

1993hiss --

just to be clear, there are 3 sets of needle bearings in the rear suspension.

swingarm bearings - where the swingarm attaches to the frame

linkage bearings - where the pivot attaches to the frame and link arms

shock bearings - where the shock attaches to the pivot and frame

The lower shock bearing is usually the worst. I typically replace only the lower shock bearing, saving the other one in the kit for the next change.

Pivot Works makes kits including bearings and seals for each.