Sign in to follow this  

IMS or Acerbis gas tank.

I really like my IMS 3.2. Fit perfectly, looks great, feels only slightly wider than stock, and allows me to scoot way up on the seat where, due to the nut-buster profile, the Clarke will not.

we had an ims on te610 husky and do to the thin mold they used on the tank it seperated twice in the same spot within weeks of purchase.

The acerbis i will admit i know nothing about:bonk:

But if i had to choose it would clarke all the way

Been around longer and the molds are superthick in my opinion

but the wide stance of the clarke DOES make it harder to get farther forward on the seat.

I do apologize for saying they are junk, i spoke before i thinkedededed :banana:

• Like 1

I have had an IMS 4 gallon for 6 months now and have abused my bike in hard single track riding. I have no leaks or problems and you can see the gouges and scratches on the side of the tank where I have fallen in rocky terrain or from tree branches. It has great range and you are the first person I have heard anything like this from on the IMS tank. It is a little bold of you to say it is crap when you probably just had a bad experience and that particular run of tanks somehow missed the quality inspection or something.

I know it's hard sometimes when you have had a bad experience with a product not to knock it, but in reality how many others have experienced that. I would say that the IMS is one of the most recommended on this forum for the DRZ. It provides excellent radiator protection and has almost a 200 mile range. Tough to beat the combination.

One vote for IMS here please!:banana:

you are right about being BOLD, which is why i apologized in the first place.

but leave it to you platinum members to capitalize on anybody elses screw ups

I had an IMS 3.2 and it cracked right at the filler neck where you screw the cap on during my first ride with it. Leaked gas every where.

Hey guys, any pictures of the IMS 3.2 or 4 gal. tanks?

My garage has a pic of my white 3.2 that replaced my translucent Clarke 3.9

Sadly, here is my not yet installed Acerbis 4.25 gallon tank. Most of those other parts have been installed.....waiting on more of season to start...right now, I wanna ride instead of install parts.

farkle21.JPG

Sadly, here is my not yet installed Acerbis 4.25 gallon tank. Most of those other parts have been installed.....waiting on more of season to start...right now, I wanna ride instead of install parts.

farkle21.JPG

What front fender have you got there?

What front fender have you got there?

That is from an 06 SM DRZ I think. I am sure about SM and DRZ...just not what year. I got it from another TT member a few weeks ago. It is on bike now, since its a really easy install. Case savers, tank and rear fender might go on this weekend.:banana:

I have the Acerbis 4.25 and its a very well made/high quality tank. It served me well on the TAT this past summer. I didn't like the fuel line connections they supplied and went with automotive 1/4" fuel line, SS hose clamps and a brass "T" 3 way barbed hose fitting from ACE hardware.

One thing, you will need the "S" model Unibikers to fit the Acerbis tank properly, The "E" gaurds reportedly need a lot of trimming to fit but the "S" model bolts right up with no problems.

It's been a bullet proof setup since installed and works perfectly with UNIBIKER "S" model radiator guards and a kick start. My runner up tank was the Clarke 3.6 for the E model. I have never used it but the looks are nice and it works perfectly with Unibikers and a kick start (a requirement for me).

+1 on the IMS 4 gal. I have run it for the last 2 yrs and like the way it holds fuel down low. That much fuel is ~28 lbs.

Also have pounded it into the ground multiple times and with the Flatlander radiator guards I think it's great protection..no issues.

On the negative side blood seems to stick to the tank alot worse than the stock tank.:banana:

I have the Acerbis 4.25 and its a very well made/high quality tank. It served me well on the TAT this past summer. I didn't like the fuel line connections they supplied and went with automotive 1/4" fuel line, SS hose clamps and a brass "T" 3 way barbed hose fitting from ACE hardware.

One thing, you will need the "S" model Unibikers to fit the Acerbis tank properly, The "E" gaurds reportedly need a lot of trimming to fit but the "S" model bolts right up with no problems.

It's been a bullet proof setup since installed and works perfectly with UNIBIKER "S" model radiator guards and a kick start. My runner up tank was the Clarke 3.6 for the E model. I have never used it but the looks are nice and it works perfectly with Unibikers and a kick start (a requirement for me).

What did you think of the petcocks/gaskets that came with it?? I am hoping those hold up well, as well as the mounting screws, which screw into plastic like wood screws screw into wood. I could see that whole thing being a potential leak problem, if not done perfectly on first try.

No issues if I do not have rad guards either, right?