Sign in to follow this  

training and weight loss help

i have been training for the past two weeks and i am wondering if what i am doing is good.

I run for 30 minutes before dinner everyday.

my diet consists of only chicken basically. i eat it three times a day.

breakfast - 1/2 chicken breast on 100% whole grain scotch oatmeal bread

lunch - salad with 1/2 chicken breast and fat free italian dressing.

dinner is the exact same thing as breakfast.

is this to much protein? am i not getting enough of something? i drink water constantly through out the day.

i know its boring but i really like it and it has fit me well lately.

how does this seem to you?

It's ok. You might like it now, but you will eventually get sick of it. You should not be on a diet as much as you should just change your lifestyle. Starving yourself isn't going to help you lose weight or get into shape. if you are going to eat that little, maybe consider small snacks between the meals as well. Depending on your size, you don't really want to be eating less than 1500 calories a day. You should consider a few more starches. Whole grain pastas and rices are good for you. Your body needs those carbs for energy.

Running 30 minutes a day is good, but if at all possible, I would try to do it in the morning. It sets a good foundation and gets your body ready for the day, just like a good solid breakfast. Also throw in some strength training. If you don't have weights, use your body weight. Push ups, sit ups, dips, squats, lunges, and all of the variations in between. Keep up on the water and lots of stretching. Maybe try some cycling as well. You need to mix it up a bit so your body doesn't get used a fixed routine.

Count calories: If you limit yourself to 1000-1500 you will naturally eat healthier because with that amount of calories anything unhealthy and lacking nutritional value will leave you feeling empty and eventually more hungry. Raw eggs are a good breakfast choice, low in calories and lots of complex carbs and protein.

I don't think eggs have any complex carbohydrates and actually have very little carbs in general. Right around 1 graham. Generally complex carbs are found in grains, beans, fruits, and veggies. All things you should add into your "diet". But eggs are very good source of protein and vitamins.

in no way am i trying to starve my self im just trying to eat smaller portions to help with weight loss. eating the more frequent small meals are hard for me because im in school from 7 to 2 and so i eat when i get up at 6 then i get lunch at 1030 and eat dinner after i run at about 530. my school is real uptight about eating if your not in lunch so thats why the smaller meals are hard for me.

any other suggestions?

Well, what you have described as what you eat is by no means considered large meals. You are already eating small meals. I would add a tad more to what you eat now if your school doesn't allow for any between meal snacks. I would add more veggies and fruits, some good whole grain cereals and pastas.

thanks for the help guys. I never eat school lunch, i bring my own salad or sandwich or something everyday. i definitely start adding more fruits and veggies to my meals

What are your goals for this, how much do you weight now and how much do you want to lose?

A couple of good veggies are broccoli and cauliflower. They are negative calorie foods, meaning that your body burns more energy to process them than they contain. Plus they make me feel really full so I'm not as hungry. I get the green giant frozen bags and just pop them in the microwave and split the bag into two servings.

Pork tenderloin and heel cut sirloin are also two good meat choices when you get tired of chicken and just need to change it up once in a while.

Kashi Go Lean is also a good filling food. It has basically no flavor and will give you the worst farts of your life but it is super filling.

jeff

Protein is key, just mix it up. My general rule is to try for 1g of protein per lb of body weight....really depends on your activity levels etc. but it works for me...I shoot for ~200g of protein per day and mix in fruit at breakfast & lunch, and salads and/or veggies with dinner.

PBJs are good...there's good cheap protein in peanut butter, just make sure it's all natural and not that shite that is full of sugar and hydrogenated oils. Stay away from sugary jelly and look for fruit preserves or raw honey. As a rule, any packaged food that has more ingredients than you can count on one hand or can't pronounce isn't good for you.

Hard boiled eggs & canned fish is great, just stay away from tuna. Kipper snacks and smoked oysters are in my cabinet here at work....the herring is about the only fish that doesn't retain mercury. My coworkers always know when I'm eating lunch...:banana:

Mixed nuts are easy to carry around too, and stuff like jerky (we make our own from geese, deer, elk, etc.)

The raw Organic food bars pack 22g protein per bar, and they are tasty...not cheap, but then again eating clean, healthy food isn't cheap....nor is being sick from eating crap.

Sounds like you're on the right track, but you might start cluckin' from all that chicken you're having...

i weigh about 180 at about 5'9". i would like to lose about 20 30 pounds if possible while be in great shape cardio wise i guess you could say.

You arent eating near enough if your still in high school bud. You sould eat at the very least 2,200 cal. per day. Protein intake is fine where it's at, but add the fruits and vegies. A lot of people dont realize that if you just clean up your diet you can still eat the same amount. By clean it up I mean nothing fried, not a lot of red meat. No soda, no candy or other sugars. If you eat good lean grilled meats, and all your veggies and fruits and grains now while your young, and eat enough of them, you should be in the best shape of your life if you keep it up. Keep the cardio going, and don't forget to stretch before, and after your done. Throw in a few pushups and cruncehs. Few hundred of each a day. Dont' have to do them all at once, space it out. Do a few when you wake up, and stretch real good, some when you get home, and some before bed.

I was on a real health kick a few years ago and everything I am hearing here is really good advise. Here is my 2 cents.

- nothing processed!

- eat the proper amount of calories for your age

- you need veggies and fruit for carbs, although I heard cooking them is not going to give you the benefits, raw is the way to go

- whole grain carbs are good, your body needs it, otherwise it will take the energy source from from your protein or worse muscle

- I like to boil a lot of eggs at once and store them in the frig, I have been doing it for a long time and stay good from Monday through Friday, I also eat them without the yokes, only whites

- Naturally More peanut butter is a good source of omega 3 and 6 fats, has some protein too and it can satisfy the sweet tooth http://www.naturallymore.com/products.html

- you are supposed to get protein, carbs and fats at each meal, you could spend a lot of time breaking down your food to grams and calories but there are sources on the net and you are not eating a lot of different things, found this and looks like it could help. http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nutrient_calculator.htm The site is just and example and you can see how depending on what goal you have and how many meals you eat through out the day can change calories, grams, proteins, carbs and fats.

- breaking your daily calorie intake in to more smaller meals is better than fewer bigger meals, keeps the metabolism high, I teach and have half my lunch during lunch time and the other half when school lets out

- not a bad idea to find out your bmi

- weight training can help you loose weight, muscle keeps metabolism high

- mix up your training, as you loose weight you will need to up the intensity to see more results

- it is ok to reward yourself with a cheat once a week just don't go crazy

- once you reach your goal you will need to adjust since you are no longer trying to loose but maintain

- educate yourself with research, it is out there, may take trial and error

well i weighted my self today and i have dropped 8 pounds, thats an average of about 4 pounds a week, at that rate i will be losing around 16 pounds a month, within two months i will reach my goal of 30 pounds, after realizing that, that is my biggest motivation i have had yet to see what i have already done. thanks so much guys! you help out alot!

Even the salads are unhealthy.. :/

I realize schools are all different. But my wife works at our local high school, as a cook. Their food is as about as healthy as you will buy ready to eat. AS LONG AS YOU BUY THE MAIN MEAL!! Sure you can buy junk food. But their main line food meets or exceeds the feds requirements for high school age kids. That same requirements are what all these guys on here are basing their opinions on. All you have to do is ask and they should be able to supply you with all the diet info for the food they cook.

Like I started off with, all schools are different. But most are better than what you'd exspect. Most parents and almost all the kids don't have a clue about their school lunches. Schools have to offer a healthy choice in order to get any federal funding. Most kids only see the pizza and french fries, and tell their parents theres nothing good to eat.

I'll spare you all the wrath of my wife on this, just don't let it happen again!! LOL!!

If you like your diet and will reach your goal in 2 months, add a multivitamin it help cover some things missing.

If you are open to suggestions I would add things like broccolli, baby spinach, cabbage, brussel sprouts, cauliflour, asparagus. Lettuce has about 0 nutritional value, and not much fiber either.

If you continue eating well after you've lost the weight you will need to increase your carb intake, and may want to have red meat once or twice a week. 1/2 chicken breast probably won't be enough protien, I'd eat the whole thing, maybe 2.

Natural peanut butter and (expecially) mixed nuts are good for you, however I cut these out if trying to loose weight. I have a hard time staying out of them, too tasty, high in calories. Add them when the bodyweight goal is achieved.

Fitday is a good site to look up foods nutritional content. You can also enter your diet and it will show the complete nutritional breakdown.

Edited by Pitbull Equipment
forgot to add something

4 lbs a week isn't healthy. Thats basically called crash dieting, and like the name implies isn't good. Your going to starve yourself for two months, loose 30 lbs, but you aren't really going to change your life style. Gradually work your way down, and change your habbits for life, not jsut for two months. You'll mostl liekly revert, and gain it all back.

Lots of great ideas here. Consider modifying your eating habits sllloooowwly. Otherwise you will not be able to maintain the changes. Increasing your cardiovascular, strength, and endurance capabilities will have a natural positive effect on your appetite. Choosing healthier, mostly unprocessed foods will diminish cravings for junk and simple carbs.

Surprisingly, one of the BEST ways to get and stay in shape is to ride hard. The act of riding, taking on a complex track or trail will bring your cardio into the High Intensity zone.

HITT (High Intensity Interval Training) is one of the most effective ways to raise metabolism, increase cardiovascular capacity, burn fat, and lose weight.

Riding is one of the easiest ways (and the most fun) to get in the HIITs.