Sign in to follow this  

Ya ever seen this happen before?

the roller on the rocker arm assembly must have seized up. At least the roller didn't come apart, the resulting chunks may have really botched something up .

Did you Run out of oil ????:banana:

Not completely but yeah, the oil was way low. That 80 MPH run down the hwy at the end of the ride didn't help either. That's the only real damage I've seen so far. I still had good compression, the valves and cylinder wall still looks good. I'll know more when I yank the cylinder/piston and split the cases.

Does anybody have a link to a diagram of the lubrication system? I've see one before but cant find it. I'm curious where that wheel on the exhaust rocker gets lubed from. It seems strange that that is the only real damage if it was caused from low oil. I'm hopping that the rocker wheel seized from old age (400ish hours)

gnarly dude. reminds me of what happens to high lift flat tappets with heavy valve springs when you use oil containing reduced zinc. run shell rotella

I've always used Rotella. I've always ran almost a quart in each side. This is an old bike (04) with around 400 hours on it. I did a valve job & piston at 180 hrs. A new cyclinder, piston, crank & case bearings at 300 hours and now this failure at 400 hours.

I'm not sure where the oil went. There was oil on the front of the swing arm. Bottom line is I rode too many miles and didn't check the oil level the last few rides. My bad plain and simple.

I keep this bike at a vacation home in the CA desert and ride it every two weeks or so and put 100-200 miles on it per trip. The past few trips I did a few 100 mile rides, put it in the garage and went home. Maybe I subconsciously let it run dry so I can get a new bike.:banana:

I was just wondering if that exhaust rocker wheel has ever failed on anybody else. It's just odd that the wheel seized and everything else still looks good (so far). I'm hoping that 400 hours is way over the lifespan of the part and the rest of the motor is OK.

I'll find out this weekend when I split the cases and see what it looks like in there. I've been waiting for an excuse to split the cases so I can throw a WR gear set back in there anyways.

Does anybody know where I can find a diagram of the engine lubrication system? I've seen one on here somewhere before.

i wasnt saying thats why.. just you posted anyone ever seen this. got a pinto motor revving 9k rpm flat tappet running mobil 1 it ate a few lobes and that reminds me of how it looked.

The camshaft and rockers are the end of the oil path,and if the engine is low on oil the oil squirter that shoots oil at the bottom of the piston bleeds off the remaining oil before any has a chance to make it higher and oil the failed parts.

The camshaft and rockers are the end of the oil path,and if the engine is low on oil the oil squirter that shoots oil at the bottom of the piston bleeds off the remaining oil before any has a chance to make it higher and oil the failed parts.

Yep, I agree. I finally found that lub system diagram (in my service manual). The oil pumps into the area below the cam lobes and gets splashed around the valve train. The exhaust roller is the highest part to be lubricated so it went first.

IMG_0009.jpg

The cylinder looks fine.

IMG_0005.jpg

It looks like the JE piston and pin were just starting to get scored but it has 140 hours on it and was probably due to be replaced anyways.

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpgIMG_0008.jpg

I'll be splitting the cases when I get a chance to see how it looks in there.

Wow. That piston is worn out!! Its one thing to see wear like that on a piston with a decent skirt, but on one of these things that has a piston that amounts to a ring holder, that thing is toast.

I bet that sucker rattled pretty good, No?

If youve got that kind of wear in the wrist pin, the rod is toast too.

Wow. That piston is worn out!! Its one thing to see wear like that on a piston with a decent skirt, but on one of these things that has a piston that amounts to a ring holder, that thing is toast.

I bet that sucker rattled pretty good, No?

If youve got that kind of wear in the wrist pin, the rod is toast too.

Yeah it was a bit noisy I guess but this bike has always been loud especially with a big snow shovel skid plate. I didn't really notice it was way louder than before.

Is there a way to check the big rod bearing? This crank is also at 140 hours.

Thanks for the info.