Sign in to follow this  

klx 300 carb flooding

Help , please ,, my trusty old '97 klx300 is flooding petrol out of the over flow.

I've cleaned the float valve, adjusted the float level and renewed the float valve needle, and it still leaks, . Any ideas anyone?

Check the float valve seat. Something must be binding and causing the float valve to stick open.

thanks, Slow Hand, checked valve seat, can't find anything wrong.

Stuck now!

Kindest regards, Ken Ward.

Ken, sorry about the trouble you're having.

Don't mean to sound redundant here, but you must make absolutely sure that there is nothing making the valve bind in its seat.

Is it possible you could have bent the valve or seat out of shape?

What about burrs on the valve or seat that could catch the valve and make it stick open?

Obviously there is still something propping the float valve open, or causing it to stick open, allowing more fuel to flow into the float bowl.

If possible, verify all this once again, and run some fuel into the carb with it off the bike and see if fuel still comes out of the overflow. If so, you can take the bowl off easily and hopefully find the cause.

You can solve this problem through the process of elimination.

Yup you were right, I put my glasses on this time!

I inspected the float valve seat again, and sure enough, it is pitted and worn out. Time for a new carburetor, wow - they are expensive!

Any one got a stock kehin they want to sell??

why do you need a new carb? cant you just replace the valve seat and valve needle? that seems much cheaper.