Sign in to follow this  

motor oil

OK 1st oil change on 2010 SXF-450. The manual states use only 10-50 weight oil. I used 10-40 weight oil 100% synthetic Motul instead of Motorex as the manual stated. Is there really any difference except it's a bit thinner then 50 weight. I live in S.Fla where it's usually very hot here. Any thoughts just curious.

Thanks

I use Dumonde YAP 400 15-40. Many of my friends use it to. I think I'm going to switch to a 15-50. Your probably ok.

Make sure whatever you use had the "MA" rating on the back as it's been designed specifically for single lubrication systems with clutch unlike modern oils aren't designed to be used for a clutch too

I'd personally stick to the heavier weight especially in warmer temperatures. I live in the northeast and use a 15-50 or 20-50 year round. 15-40 won't hurt anything, but I keep hearing that the heavier oil will offer better protection in extreme temperatures. The brand doesn't matter much.

Make sure you change your oil on schedule. I ran Motul 5100 20w-50 ester blend and left it go much longer than I should have and when I drained it, the consistency was like water. It had clearly broken down out of grade, but it was still very clean!

Lots of people run oils that don't have the JASO-MA rating with good results - as long as its not labeled "energy conserving" it's fine, however I'm sold on 100% ester synthetics, and they all happen to be JASO-MA rated. Aside from the great protection you get with an ester-based oil, you also get that wonderful candy sweet smell out the crankcase breather hose!

oil debate could go on forever! i currently use 10w40 fully synthetic lucas oil. $8.00 a quart at oreillys. used a few years with no issues. before that i used 15w40 rotella $11.00 a gallon at wal-mart used for probably 5 years ,no issues. before that for nearly 10 years in my two strokes i used 10w40 car oil, yes i know it doesnt have the correct ratings but i had no issues ever with it.only reason i got a little more picky on oils is when i went to four strokes,and was a little more concerned about it grenading.

Used the 10/40 in you two-strokes gear box (perfectly fine) or as a (God forbid) pre-mix ?? :banana: