Sign in to follow this  

Flooding with gas off.

I just purchesed a 1998 yz 250 in need of a new top end. I had it resleeved and the powervalve rebuilt.

I put it all back together and the plug gets saturated and wont start (Kick or pop)

I cleaned the carb & jets and tried numerous float settings.

So I turned the gas off and even removed the fuel line, put the plug back in kicked away & it still gets soaked with no fuel source.

FYI: My jetting is 172/42 & I never heard the machine run prior to my ownership.

Thanks in advance for your help on this unbelievably frustrating problem

Once it gets flooded, gas is still in the crank case. You can pull the plug and kick it over several times untill you don't see a gas spray or mist. Pull the pipe and dump any fuel that may have gotten in it. Wipe the bike down and install the plug and it should bust off. Now you know when you do this that is raw fuel pumping out so don't light a flame. :lol: Im not there to see the bike or problem so you may need to replace the float needle and if you already did that then the fuel petcock on the tank may not be shutting off. Pull the fuel line and check to see if fuel comes out with the petcock shut off. If so replace or pull it apart and check the o-rings. Good luck :banana:

It's probably really flooded, filling the crankcase.... with the plug out, rag over the plug hole, hold the kill switch, hold it wide open and kick it over a dozen times....should help clear it out.

I did all of the above. I even went as far as towing it down the road with the plug out in gear. Seemed to get better but still wet. All carb components seem in great shape.

It's probably really flooded, filling the crankcase.... with the plug out, rag over the plug hole, hold the kill switch, hold it wide open and kick it over a dozen times....should help clear it out.

I tried kicking with the plug removed and throttle open. However I didnt have the kill swich engaged. Ill try it. Just curious, what does holding the kill do in this situation?

it keeps you from damaging the ignition since the plugs out of it.

Also make sure your killswitch isnt grounding out.