kips broken????

so i got my kdx 220 back together after doing the top end. started right up first kick

so i pulled this side cover thing off to vew to make sure the kips are working and guess what they are not.

from what i have read is that the shaft in there should move when its reved over 6000 rpms. and mine doesnt. but it reves fine though????????

is this true?

the only part i messed with is the part where it conects to the top end. the long shaft from the bottom end

anyone have any ideas that might be causing this?

also when i had the bike apart i saw that the kips thing was all the way open in the exhaust port is this how its supposed to be when its taken apart? also how easily should the shaft turn when you put a nut driver on the end of the shaft? it has a 10mm nut on the end. (look at the pic, that nut)

thanks! please help

IMG_0176.jpg

If the long rod you are missing is the one that runs from the clutch cover to the top

of the cyl were the kips gear is/ thats what moves the kips .

if you put a socket on the kips shaft (10mm nut) it should move freely

When you removed/replaced that bit, did you support the shaft while removing/tightening that nut at the top? If you didn't, you probably snapped the pin off the bottom of the shaft. Pretty common mistake. Don't run it like that, if that piece of pin gets caught in your main gear or clutch you'll be in for an expensive repair.

thanks pit_man! that is great.

i think i found the problem. i went over and looked at my friends bike and turned the nut on the KIPS shaft and his sprung back when i turned it. mine doesnt do that. it is sticking so im guessing it dirty.??? but what is strange is that it worked fine before i rebuilt the top end????