Thinking about buying an 08 Kawi 450

Guys im trading my 2005 raptor 660 straight up for this 08 kx450 what do you think? I dont know much about kawi i own a 03 yz 450 and that thing is a tank its indestructable. im not sure about the newer kawi's and i was hoping for some guidence on some parts and things i should look over tomorrow when i go see it. Any help would be appreciated. i attached some pics too! http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2773/4383186899_16a073a635_b.jpghttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2767/4383309997_88c9669f6a_b.jpg

I own an 08 KX450F myself. I've only had it since November and it is the first thumper I've owned. I love everything about it. There is nothing too special that would be a sure thing to look at that I know of. Mine was mostly stock with a few bolt-ons. As with any bike, try to look in those not so obvious areas for dirt/corrosion (like up under the gas tank where someone might not have pressure washed to make it look pretty). It will at least give you an idea of how much he cared for the bike. It should start up with no problems if everything is stock. If everything is stock and it has starting issues it could be some stuck valves (like my friends bike had). If it's not stock than it could be a number of things... proper jetting, exhaust leaks, and who knows what else. One thing that was an issue on the stock bikes were the chain sliders and guides. The bikes would eat through them. The T.M. Designworks folks make a great replacement for them. Also, don't get too worried about the oil sight gauge on the side of the crank case. It is completely unreliable. Look for any oil residue on the top side of the skid plate between the plate and the motor (another place pressure washing alone won't get too very well) to be able to tell how the gaskets are holding up. I'm sure others that have owned theirs longer might have more input on anything more specific for these bikes. All in all, I'm totally happy with mine and good luck on yours!

The 08 is a great bike. It was the first Kawi I owned and mine went to a good buddy when I took delivery of the 10.

Make sure all the bolts are torqued and some loctite helps especially on the bottom two bolts on the rear fender. I dropped a 55 leak jet in the carb and went up one on the main and had the jetting perfect with just routine fuel screw adjustments.

I really felt the bike turned better when I switched triple clam offsets.

The bike stock is a tad busy in the middle of the turns. 4 strokes are set up to turn on the front wheel and it can be a bit vague. Definately experiment with fork tube height as well. Set the sag at 102mm and go at it. Have fun and enjoy the scoot.:banana:

I used to have a '03 YZ450 and it was indestructible too. I even took that thing to Mexico once where we'd ride over 200 miles a day and that 4 speed geared to high heaven hung with all my buddies on 6 speed KTMs.

I have a '08 KX450 now and it's been a great bike so far. I've rode a lot of different bikes and the motor in this '08 feel a lot like the motor in the '03 YZ, more so then any other bike I've rode. If you like your YZ you'll love the KX.

Great bike! I bought mine brand new and didn't have to touch the valves until I hit my 67 hour mark. I am at almost 80 now and they are still good. I love it! I haven't had any issues regarding anything other than the chain guide, but that's an easy fix. Great bike with lots of power, you'll love it.