Sign in to follow this  

My Bike is tweaking.. HELP!!

Okay, so i have a 2005 crf250r and it is back firing A LOT and while riding, if i let out the throttle a little it will just shut off:banghead:. The idle isnt turned down at all. Our theory is that the hot start is sticking, but we dont know whats wrong with it for sure. If anyone knows what's wrong with it, PLEASE HELP!!

Pilot screw at the bottom of the carb.

Make sure the hotstart valve is working. Does the lever feel right and spring right back?

On my 04 the hotstart wire was too short so whenever i would turn the bars to the right it would engage and eventually it got stuck and i had the same problem. Unfortunately the stealership charged 200 bucks to replace the wire

Remove the carb and give it a good cleaning. Be sure to give the hot start plunger plenty of attention. Clean everything and grease the hot start plunger when you put it back together.

Replacing the hotstart cable takes like 20 minutes. Get an aftermarket aluminum hotstart cable guide(that screws into the carb) to replace that stock plastic piece of shit that's there now.

Well i can just disconnect the hot start and it'll work better wont it?

No. If the plunger is what is sticking open unhooking the cable won't change a thing. Contrary to popular belief the carb (and hot start) are maintenance items and should be removed and cleaned occasionally. At that time the hot start cable should be cleaned and lubed and the plunger should be cleaned and greased. I recommend doing this at least every 6 months. It's not too hard and will save you a lot of time, trouble, and frustration down the road.