Sign in to follow this  

Should I replace the crank?

Hey guys I just bought an 06 RM250 and am in the processes of disassembling it to see what I need to make it a solid bike. It seems like it was "riden hard and put away wet" but by the looks of everything it seems to have pretty low hours. I know the kid I bought it from and he is an expert rider and has a few bikes and I never saw him ride this one too much. I pulled the jug today and it has a brand new wiseco piston with absolutly no time on it. I check the crank for up and down play and side to side play and it has no up and down what so ever and a little side to side in the rod which is ok. Its all OEM and hasnt been rebuilt but like I said the kid never really rode it. My question is how long do these crank bearings/ rods last? Im on a tight budget and would like to try to get another season out of it. thanks

I would run it. The rod sounds tight enough to last this year, and if you use good oil and don't really scream it a lot it could last another 4 or 5 years.

Yeah, I agree, I wouldn't worry about it - As long as in spins freely and doesn't catch, a tiny amount of side to side play is somewhat normal.

Yeah I think ill just leave it and ride it for the rest of the year. I just wasnt sure how long these bottom ends last. Also... I took the clutch cover and case cover off and the gear oil they were using is purple... I think it smelled like that klotz gear saver maybe? But I think it turned the inside of the aluminum cases grean and it wont come off lol Any idea why?