Sign in to follow this  

Rebound Valve Holder

I have an 06 yz 250. on the forks there is a rebound valve holder that I am trying to get off. The thin aluminum rebound shaft got messed up and im trying to get the shaft out and the only way to get it out is to remove the holder but i cant figure out how to get it off. ive tried unscrewing it but it doesnt seem to want to budge, i just dont want to break anything.

This is the part

FKRH1206small.jpg

I'm trying to understand your dilemma. Are you trying to get the cartridge rod (with the rebound tap on the end of it) out of the cartridge tube? If so, why can't you just push it out of the tube?

Or, if you're trying to get the part you have pictured (the rebound tap) off of the end of the cartridge rod, it's held on with loc-tite. You need to heat the beveled area lightly, with a propane torch to melt the locing agent. It'll unscrew after that.

Or am I still mis-understanding?

yea the little thin aluminum piece i need to get out but at the bottom it got smashed with the bottom of the cartridge. The only way I can think to get to it is to take that rebound valve holder off

"little thin aluminum piece".....I really don't understand what you're referring to. Any way you can post a picture of the actual part of your fork?

step_5.jpeg

This is not my fork but its the same thing. The rod that hes pulling out is the one im trying to get to.

I would get a picture of mine but Im not home all this week so I'm not able to get a picture of it

The bottom of the cartridge unscrewed from the bottom fork cap and it jammed the threads and messed up the rod and im not able to pull it out of the bottom. The only way I can think to get to it is to take that rebound holder off and take it out from the top and get a new one. I got the threads fixed but I have no way to adjust rebound because that rod is jammed up.

AH! Okay - now we're on to something.

Ya, I would say that if the cartridge rod is buggered up at the bottom, you have to remove the rebound tap and get it out that way. Maybe at that point, you can fix the bottom end of the rod so the problem will be solved.

So, if you have the cartridge out of the fork and the compression unit is out, all you have to do is push the rod through the top of the cartridge (where the compression unit came out). You will then have access to the rebound tap. A good set of shaft blocks, a 19mm wrench and a little heat is all you need to get it apart.

However, make sure the threaded end of the cartridge rod doesn't have any burrs (other than the threads). You'll be pushing that rod through the cartridge seal and if there are any burrs on the rod, it'll take out the seal. DO NOT wrap the threads with teflon tape - it's not necessary.

Good luck!