Sign in to follow this  

How short are some of guys on your YZ's?

Well, like the title says I want to hear about some of shorter guys on yz's. I am around 5,6 (keep in mind I am growing) and 123 lbs and I am looking to step up to a big bike and want a 2006+ yz125. The problem is my dad, he does not want me to step up yet and part of the reason is he thinks I am too short. I am starting to race this year and have not yet but I am going to do a supermini race soon. We mostly just ride motocross but probably ride trails a couple times a year. So, just want to hear how you guys handle being shorter.

Thanks,

Eric

I barely touch tippy toes on both of my bikes and I tried the shaved seat for a while and prefer to run the stock seat and no more than 110mm of rear sag. The old days when I had my 1979 rm 125 it was like no issue touching ground back then. Since the mid-to-late eighties I said good buy to touching with the balls of my feet.

BTW: I am 5'5" and have a 30 inch inseam. I dont want to hear anymore from you guys who are 5'9" and need a lowering link. Put on your big boy boxers and ride already :banana:

Edited by dogfish

I barely touch tippy toes on both of my bikes and I tried the shaved seat for a while and prefer to run the stock seat and no more than 110mm of rear sag. The old days when I had my 1979 rm 125 it was like no issue touching ground back then. Since the mid-to-late eighties I said good buy to touching with the balls of my feet.

BTW: I am 5'5" and have a 30 inch inseam. I dont want to hear anymore from you guys who are 5'9" and need a lowering link. Put on your big boy boxers and ride already :banana:

Haha thanks guys, I really hope I can get a 125.

Shortest guy I know to ride a YZ was 5' 4". He would have to lean the bike so far over just to hop on it was funny

Shortest guy I know to ride a YZ was 5' 4". He would have to lean the bike so far over just to hop on it was funny

Dont be laughing at my twin brother.:banana:

There are five in our riding group (dads & sons) that have inseams of 30 inches or less, and we all ride YZ125/250s.

I understand your father’s concern, but get a 125. You will outgrow anything smaller within half a year.

If your dad is really ‘worried’, get a 125 and have the suspension shortened. :banana:

You can have the suspension returned to full-length later when your dad sees how well you adapt to a 'big' bike. :lol:

Well, like the title says I want to hear about some of shorter guys on yz's. I am around 5,6 (keep in mind I am growing) and 123 lbs and I am looking to step up to a big bike and want a 2006+ yz125. The problem is my dad, he does not want me to step up yet and part of the reason is he thinks I am too short. I am starting to race this year and have not yet but I am going to do a supermini race soon. We mostly just ride motocross but probably ride trails a couple times a year. So, just want to hear how you guys handle being shorter.

Thanks,

Eric

As a dad that has bought several bikes for kids over the years, you won't go wrong with a 125, but, personally, I would encourage you to get a 250. Unless you're sideways on the side of a hill, a 125 is just marginally easier to handle than a 250, and it is not appreciably smaller than a 250. The main differece between the 2 is more weight than height...I think your dad may just be putting off the day he gets his arse handed to him by his kid....:banana: Oh yeah, remember, "Short People got No Reason" (just kidding, at 5'6" you're almost the same height as a couple other short guys you may have heard of, Kenny Roberts, "The King", and Ricky Carmichael, "The GOAT", they seem to have overcome their "handicap"..):lol:
  • Like 1

This sounds like a talk I just had with my 13 year old and I see that your 14. I got to support Dad on this one. You motocross and ride a supermini class so stay in it till 16. I would not recomend the 125 untill you 15 and wait till your 15 !/2 to hit the race track with it. Your time will come and if you will stay on the 85 (or 150) you will be a better 125 rider when the time comes. I got a 125 sitting in the shop and I do let my 13 year old get on it every now and then at are local practice track, but no racing on the 125. Milk the 85 for all its worth and you will be a better ride in the long run.

6'0 here on my YZ 250.

my GF is about 5'7, and she can touch on her toes, on her YZ 125.

Too small?? :banana: Ricky Carmichael, The GOAT is only like 5-4 and rides pretty good.. :lol:

On a side note, Im 5-5, maybe 5-6 in moto boots and squeak a scale at about 150.. I rode the poop out of my YZ250 :banana: You're not too small :banana: Go kill it on what ever you want

I am 5'8 but have a 28 inseam so touching the ground is sketchy. Sometimes I need to slide over on the seat to do it. With the Proper sag set up I can just touch with one foot. The only time you need to touch the ground is when you are stopped.

Damn Lumpy, you're proportioned like an ape... Short legs, long torso.. Do you have freakish strength too?? I ride with a guy who is 6-10 and has something like a 40" or 42" inseam :banana: He's funny to watch do anything cause he's so lanky!!

I'll throw in I'm 5'5 and I have no problem ridding my YZ 125 and 250 besides RC was only 5'5 stewart is like 5'7 yea your to short for a bigger bike :banana:

when I was 13 at just barely over 5 foot I used to ride a 1979 RM 400! I remeber when I was a growing up getting onto a big bike as fast as possible was what everyone wanted. You didn't ride your 80 till you was 16 it was a great honor to finally get off a mini bike.

BTW: I am 5'5" and have a 30 inch inseam. I dont want to hear anymore from you guys who are 5'9" and need a lowering link. Put on your big boy boxers and ride already :lol:

cant knock the Yamalink lol i am short and looked funny as hell trying to kick start my 250, with the link i fell just perfect for the bike and dont look funny trying to start it :banana:

Yeah I understand guys and just to tell you, I am turning 15 in a couple months and I can handle my dad's 250f with an occasional tip over (but that might be because of the tall seat haha).

I also have been riding my kx100 since last New Years.

Not the most recent one but the one before that.

Edited by mxkid12

Do you guys buy shorter seats etc. or just ride it stock?

Get yourself a spare seat on e-bay for 30-40 dollars. Pull off the cover and shave the seat down to the desired height with an electric carving knife. remove the ripples in the foam with a drywall rasp and re-install the cover with a staple gun and you are good to go and still have your stock seat as a backup