Sign in to follow this  

105xc questions

What years did they make them? My wife got to ride one thus past weekend and loved it. She currently rides a crf150r with a crf250 motor that I stuffed in there. Haha with the power to weight ratio and short wheel base makes it tough to ride. As far as the 105 are there any 105xc specific known problems? How does it compare to say a tricked out cr85. It will only be used for the trails. I didn't get a chance to ride it so I'm concerned with the lowend. I font want to buy it and find out it has a lowend like a kx100. That is the only small 2 smoker I have ridden as of late. I know it won't have the lowend of her bike but I don't want to buy it if she has to be in the pipe everwhere. Btw she only weighs 105 and the 105 is a perfect size. Seat height around 35 inches. Thanks for the input. Also if I can't find a 105 can I buy a 85 and just swap the cylinder? What are the major differences between the sx and xc? Would the sx be ok fir the trails or can I take a sx and make it a xc? Thanks everyone

My wife has one and she likes it. It's got good lowend with shorter gearing and a Stealthy FFW. The only problem is that she never cleans it out and we do sometimes have problems with fouling a plug at startup if I dont clean it out before shutting it off for the day.

I have ordered a leaner slide from Sudco but havent recived it yet but hope it helps, have heard good things about it from other 105 owners.

I am running a longer chain on her bike and have the axle all the way back, it seems to help the short wheel base problem.

450x, I forgot to tell you that Cheryl's 105 also has a flywheel weight. It was a small difference. You can try it out on Sunday if you like, it's a hoot.

XC and SX are the exact same except the XC has an o ring chain while the SX has non o ring, the XC has a sidestand while the SX does not, and the XC comes with the lightweight handguards and SX does not. Cheryl's bike is an SX, Joe at Tiki Cycles welded a tab onto the frame so we could install the sidestand.

I got my wife an 06sx last fall. I'd say the bottom end is fine. Nothing like a 4-stroke, but she is around 140lbs and lugs it around all day. It has a rekluse and that helps. She should be riding a 4-stroke trail bike, but she doesn't like their weight. I haven't tinkered with jetting and it spooges like crazy, but I just clean it up. I always take it for a rip to blow it out before I pack up, too. :banana: It's pretty fun after spending all day on a thumper. It picks up and goes with my 195lb self on it, too.

As far as the 105 are there any 105xc specific known problems?

Only one I have heard of is the 85/105 engine uses small main bearings and you definitely don't want to run them lean.

Also if I can't find a 105 can I buy a 85 and just swap the cylinder?

Yes

My wife jsut upgraded from an RM85 to a KTM 105sx. It has a rekluse clutch, flywheel weight, oversized tank, rad and skid plate guards, ect...She likes it a lot more in the bush. It has more bottom end and can pull hills and technical stuff at a lower RPM. The RM85 needed to be in the powerband more often, compared to the same trail on the 105.

The slightly bigger wheels are nicer too. The only complaint she has is the seat is rock hard compared to the RM85, the suspension also seems to be stiffer on the front. We may have to set it up like the RM85. From the factory the RM85 front suspension seemed to be better set up for her riding style.

Only the SX is available 2010.

Ahhh, didn't realize that Fred. My only advice to these folks is "Get an XC" for the wife wether it's a year or 2 one way or the other.