Sign in to follow this  

Lowering Front End with Triple Tree

Has anyone just loosened the triple tree bolts and let the forks slide up an inch or so and cinched them back up? Thanks, Miguel

Has anyone just loosened the triple tree bolts and let the forks slide up an inch or so and cinched them back up? Thanks, Miguel

Easy to do and you can get an inch or so lower. The torque for the top pinch bolt is 21 foot lbs. and the bottom bolts are 19 foot lbs.

Easy to do and you can get an inch or so lower. The torque for the top pinch bolt is 21 foot lbs. and the bottom bolts are 19 foot lbs.
Works fine on my DR650. Helped me get the seat closer to the ground.

I hope you guys have actually checked clearance between the wheel and the bottom side of the funder during full compression before giving advice like that!!!

Is there really a full inch with knobbies?

Edited by LukasM

Is there really a full inch with knobbies?

I used to have mine lowered about 7/8" this way and a D606 tire fit under full compression. I wouldn't go much more than that, depending on tires.

also keep in mind you are lowering the frame's low point, never checked myself but I hear it makes negative clearance possible. Lowering the forks factory style lowers the high point, but keeps the bottomed out height same as stock. If you drag pegs on the road or bottom out offroading, it's probably not a good choice. Fine to see if you like it, but I think it's worth the time to do it factory style if you are going to leave it like that

mine is in SM trim and I have mine dropped an inch for a faster turn in at the track. I am thinking of dropping the rear to match it. It's at the stock height right now

also keep in mind you are lowering the frame's low point, never checked myself but I hear it makes negative clearance possible.

You have heard wrong, it doesn't.