Sign in to follow this  

What should i have in my tools bag?

Some :banana: stole my bike´s tool bag and i just got the bike some weeks ago, so i dont really know what i need for my bike (paid for my first oil change :banana:) so i would like to hear which tools do i need for the usual wrenching with the SM.

Any helpful guys arround as usual? :lol:

Always carry a patch kit and some sort of inflator. You never know when you'll need it.

blowupdoll.jpg

Watch ebay and the TT classifieds. The kits come up for sale every so often.

Always carry a patch kit and some sort of inflator. You never know when you'll need it.

blowupdoll.jpg

Watch ebay and the TT classifieds. The kits come up for sale every so often.

You Jerk-off!!! I just shot root beer out my nose... that freaking hurts! :banana:

Aaarg! For around town, I like to have 8 and 10mm sockets, and multi-purpose tool like a gerber, but cheaper. On longer trips, I'll bring along a pump, tube, patch kit, tire spoons, wrenches for the axle nuts, electrical tape, cotter pins (can be used as electrical wire if needed), spark plug and wrench. The only things I've had to to on the trail or road is change a tube and correct jetting, so it's not like I've had to test out the butt bag much.

GOF1, great idea on a used tool kit!

You Jerk-off!!! I just shot root beer out my nose... that freaking hurts! :lol:

Aaarg! For around town, I like to have 8 and 10mm sockets, and multi-purpose tool like a gerber, but cheaper. On longer trips, I'll bring along a pump, tube, patch kit, tire spoons, wrenches for the axle nuts, electrical tape, cotter pins (can be used as electrical wire if needed), spark plug and wrench. The only things I've had to to on the trail or road is change a tube and correct jetting, so it's not like I've had to test out the butt bag much.

GOF1, great idea on a used tool kit!

Not bad for a jerk-off, huh?:banana:

I usually carry the following

ratchet with 8, 10, 12, 14, and 16mm sockets as well as small extension (for spark plug, a magnet is a good idea for this as well)

flathead and phillips screwdrivers (a small and big of each)

tire irons

at least a 21 tube, if not both a 21 and 18

zip ties, bailing wire

small hand bicycle pump (for under 20$ at wally world)

pliers and wire cutters

10mm wrench

10in crescent wrench (for rear tire)

A couple of bolts i can use for the seat or side plastic if the decide to shake loose

also, not part of my tool kit, but my tires valve stem caps have the valve core remover on the outside, if you don't have those i would carry one in the bag.

Do I go a little overprepared? Maybe, but I've used a lot of those tools on the trail side. You never know what to expect:ride:

check attached.

more relevant for the E & S riders who invariably will be looking in on this thread as well.

its a good mag item on a general off road kit

http://www.crustyquinns.com//documents/what-to-take-in-your-bumbag.pdf

in addition, a bit of shed time between rides will help you understand how, when and where to use them all.

and murphy's law, if you carry the tools, you wont need them (but someone else will. ha)

Tow strap (for pulling KTMs) cellphone, cigar, lighter, waterbottle.

IMHO the stock spark plug wrench is the best and most compact option I know of. I would try to find another factory tool kit on ebay for that one tool, if nothing else.

I saw some sweet tire spoons by msr that had the large mm box wrench ends, take a good look at the crustyquinns link. In addition to the tools I have a space blanket and ca superglue from the hobby store. The super glue is to fix open wounds in the field. If you or a friend gets a large wound that is bleeding with little or no control you can just wipe the area dry and glue it closed and transport the person. this is the same glue they use in surgery.

Whenever I work on my bike I make it a habit to always use the tools in the tool bag because then I know that I will have whatever I need in the event I break down on the trail.

The only time I have been stranded in 7 years was with a stator failure.

I no longer carry tubes since I run tubliss now.

blowupdoll.jpg

I have the midget version. Looks too much like a kid to be anything other than disturbing though. She makes a good passenger, and she never complains when I wheelie.:banana:

Split link and spare fuse or 2. Would also take a small tube of chemical metal if really off the beaten track

The OEM tool bag can't be beat for it's compactness. Definitely try to get another one of those.

I'd add to the already going list vice grips, alan keys, tape, zip ties, and chain cutter.

Personally I prefer to carry a spare heavy duty tube instead of dicking around with a patch kit.