Sign in to follow this  

How do you load a bike by yourself?

So I am going to do a little riding all by my lonesome in the near future. I was wondering if there was any trick to strapping down a bike by yourself?

I can get it on the trailer with no problem, but how do you hold the bike upright while strapping it down? I know someone else out there has had to do this. Thanks in advance...

I have the straps connected to the trailer/truck and laid out where I can easily grab the motorcycle end. I reach down while holding onto the bike and grab the one on my side and connect it to the handlebars. I then loosen it so that the bike is leaning over to the other side enough so that it wont tip over as I move around to the other side and connect that strap. I then tighten the first side strap till the bike is in an upright position. It always works well for me.

I load mine in and out of my truck by myself. its not hard jsut plan ahead.

I usually get the straps ready befor i get the bike in the truck. get them hooked to the trailer first then load your bike and make sure you can reach the straps some how with out having to let go of the bike..maybe sit on it?

its easy for me to do it and im only 5'6" .

hope this helps

I get the tie downs ready (stick the bike ends between the bed of the truck and the cab), hold the bike by the bar, hook the tie downs to the bar loosely, stick the fork saver in, pull the tie downs tight enough to hold the bike. Then I get out of the truck bed and pull them tighter for the trip too/from the ride.

I hook one side of the straps and tighten so the strap is mostly holding the bike upright, and while still holding the bike, walk around it, or climb over it, and hook the other side. Then pull both sides tight and your done.

How would you get it into the bed by yourself without ramps???

thats the real question

How would you get it into the bed by yourself without ramps???

thats the real question

Park with your back tires in a shallow ditch, flop down gate and step right-on.:banana:

that would be good if there was a shallow ditch.

I've been thinking. You could lift the front tire up onto the tail gate, then while letting the bike lean towards you, lift it up and slide the bike so that the skid plate is now on the tail gate. From here, hold the bike with one hand, get yourself up onto the tail gate, grab both ends of the bar and pull it so the wheel rotates and spins up the tailgate onto the bed???

Yea?

Getting it off the back may be a different story

I lay out my tie downs first , and set them on the trailer stretched out on each side of where the bike will be , then when i get the bike in the trailer , i hold the clutch side of the bars and set my first strap on the left (i use rachet tie downs) and i adjust it so it is not tight and the strap will move about 10" each way ,** the bike is leaning to about the 11: o clock position**(this way the bike will move till its almost level with a slight lean to the left ) then i hold the bike as i walk to the other side , put in my wheel block(that goes between the fender and the tire) , and grab the other tie down , and cinch it to where there both tie downs now have tension on them (the bike will still be leaning to the left), then rachet it , pulling the bike to level , and i tighten till the cinch block flattens the tire slightly so i know its tight enough , then when i get to where i am riding i only release the right tie down(the last one i secured) , then from then on all i have to do is lay out the tie downs , and lean the bike , put on the first one(the left side) , then got to the other side and tighen that one , it makes it easy for 1 person loading !

I have the straps connected to the trailer/truck and laid out where I can easily grab the motorcycle end. I reach down while holding onto the bike and grab the one on my side and connect it to the handlebars. I then loosen it so that the bike is leaning over to the other side enough so that it wont tip over as I move around to the other side and connect that strap. I then tighten the first side strap till the bike is in an upright position. It always works well for me.

flawless and easy! exactly the way i do it. work smarter not harder.

i always load alone and one of the best investments i ever made in my life is retractable rachet straps. Another great thing is using carabeaners on both end of the straps instead of the hooks. The hooks fall of easy when your alone. The retractable rachetstraps are awsone cause you can adjust the length of them with a push of a button with one hand.

Like everyone else has said i first hook my straps to the trailer and make them the length that i think i need them at. Then i push the bike up on the trailer and then for me it gets a little trickey cause i have a single rail trailer. I gotta lean the bike on my shoulder while i hook one strap on the bars. Then i lean the bike over and let it lay on the oppisite side letting it rest on the strap i just hooked up.

then i hook up ther other side and then hold the bike straight up with my hand and make both rachet straps even which is where the retractable rachet straps come in handy again. Then the bike is standing straight up then i rachet it down. Then for my single rail i run a strap across the back tire and thats it.

So I am going to do a little riding all by my lonesome in the near future. I was wondering if there was any trick to strapping down a bike by yourself?

Is there any other way other than by myself?????:banana:

that would be good if there was a shallow ditch.

I've been thinking. You could lift the front tire up onto the tail gate, then while letting the bike lean towards you, lift it up and slide the bike so that the skid plate is now on the tail gate. From here, hold the bike with one hand, get yourself up onto the tail gate, grab both ends of the bar and pull it so the wheel rotates and spins up the tailgate onto the bed???

Yea?

Getting it off the back may be a different story

yup, thats how you do it. ive done it before but if youre truck is lifted its VERY hard. the hardest part is picking up the front wheel, and not letting the bike tip over. if you can get the front tire into the truck, and let it sit on the frame or skid plate. youre good to go.

getting it off is super easy. stand in the box, let the bike roll backwards slowly and hold the front brake while the rear tire falls off the back of the truck, it will land on the rear of the frame, near the shock linkage. then you jump out of the truck, stand on the right side of the bike, grab the swingarm with your left hand and lift, with your right hand grab the handlebar and keep the front wheel straight, and pull back in one swift motion, it will come flying out of the truck and land on both wheels at the same time... almost like a nose wheelie except youre pulling the bike backwards.

and it seems like everyone else has posted how to load it with straps + a ramp. just like 414 said.

Not to be a negative ned but man this is a lazy question! You have to be somewhat inventive and in all honesty it should not even be a task to lad your bike by yourself.....AT ALL. makes me question if you should be riding a bike.

For my TRAILER, first I do use a short ramp, maybe a 3 footer. For holding the front wheel, I found a "wheel holder" type of mount. YOu just roll the wheel into it and push part of the mount foreward. THis clamps part of the mount down on the tire. This works GREAT. Now, you're free to hook up the straps without looking like a one-armed paper hanger. Problem is, I can't remember where I got it, aboout 2 years ago. The best purchase I've made for the loading procedure!