Sign in to follow this  

Chain tightness

I just put on a new did ert2 chain on and new sprockets. I was wondering how tight to put the chain. I heard on stand it should be about 2 finger width at the muddle of the chain slider, at least that is what I would do with my recent bikes. Times are tight now and want to make sure I make this chain last! What are all you guys using for a good chain lube that doesnt fling all over everything??? Thanks alot. After the final chain adjustment I will be off. The nearest track opens March26 cant wait!!!!@!:banana:

what bike? they are all a little different. but i would say 2 finger at a minimum, i like more than 3 on my kx frankenbike. its always better to be on the loose side than the tight side.

I use 3 fingers (middle, ring, pinky) at the rear most slider screw. Been doing it like that for years. Most of the time I can just grab the chain and tell if it's too loose. You'll get that after riding the same model bike (KX250) forever. :banana:

I have a PDF manual and don't know how to snap shot it to post it. But for a 125 & 250 it's 2~2.5" at the rear of the chain slider. I suggest measuring you fingers. Some have little girly fingers and use 3 :banana: (messin with ya Jeekinz)

And use 2 at the center knuckle. I have big hands

2-2.5 inches measured from the swingarm at the back of the slider. Make sure you find the spot where the chain is the tightest. As you spin the rear wheel, the chain usually gets a little tighter or a little looser. Do the adjustment with it at the tightest point. I cut a block of wood, that is 2.25 inches across. I place it on the swingarm at the back of the slider and snug up the chain. I dont get my fingers dirty, and have a quick easy way to check it.

This might be a good procedure to follow. :banana::lol:

chainadjustment.jpg

Awesome post guys!! I am in the same boat as I go through my KX before I ride. I was going to make sure my chain was adjusted properly (looked a little loose but may not be after reading this post).

I made a block of wood with the min and max. I put it on and if the max will slide under then I adjust it to the min side of the block. It takes all the guess work out of it.

Something like this:

._____

|.......|_____

|................|

|................|

|................|

|__________|

I use Motul chain lube. I originally got it for my CBR and found it works great so I use it for my 426 as well.

make sure you bring tools with you to where you riding, because with a new chain it typically stretches a bit during the first ride.if its adjusted perfect it will end up being to loose befor the days over.

Thanks for all the info. My fingers are 1 inch each so I measured with a tape at the end of the chain slider,,, 2".. But I know it will stretch so I am going to keep the wrenches handy. Anyone have CHAIN LUBE preferences????

I am going to get some yomorrow just dont know which. I used to use Bel ray but was never really happy with it.

Thanks again...

Anyone know the measurement for a 92 KDX? I just use the "feels about right" method but couldnt hurt to know the spec. I use Toyota forklift chain lube because it works and the price is good.($0)

the Motul chain lube i really like. i also like the maxima chain wax. no matter what you use throw some wd40 on it when your washing and hit it with a wire brush to keep the gold looking nice.

chain wax, and clean of the chain every time you ride

this may work for you but i highly recommend not using chain wax. have had nothing but horrible experiances with it. its gets everywhere, can only be removed with a strong solvent and lots of elbow greases, it doesnt lube anything, just seals it up. i hate that stuff

i like the dry film no sling types, this is what i use

0000-Silkolene-Pro-Chain---.jpg