Unidentified Spring

Needed to inspect my shift mechanism so I took off the right side cover and removed the clutch assembly. Went to put it all back together and noticed a small spring about 1/2 in long laying near the bike. This could easily be unrelated as I was working at our company warehouse. I never saw this spring during disassembly and I spent a good 20 minutes looking for somewhere it could have come from. I found nothing and there is nothing in the manuals about it. Just wondering if anyone is familiar with it, maybe it popped off something and I didn't see. Appreciate any input.

BTW since your on here Eddie, do you think dirty, low quality oil could cause you to catch nuetral frequently when upshifting from first or downshifting from second? Thats why I'm looking at the shifter mechanism in the first place but everything seemed fine with it... I heard the oil theory from more than one person but have my doubts

I will take a pic as soon as I am back to the bike, its at my shop. Spring is about 1/8" in diameter and 1/2" in length. The top and bottom coil are folded over as if to hook onto something. I never had the indexer apart just took the clutch assembly out. Spring does not look heavy duty at all.