Sign in to follow this  

Getting better Traction, Making the bike hook up

I was wondering if there are any adjustments, rebound or compression, Sag? for making a bike hook up better.. I know it seems silly but just wondering.. I Just built a CR500af with my 96 cr500 motor and 02 cr250 frame.. What a killer swap.

The reason why I ask this question is with the motor in the 96 frame it seems like it hooks up better.. I will be doing some tuning the suspension soon on the bike and just thinking about ways to do make improvements..

I know it is a 500.. Just it is different between bikes with the exact same motor..

CR500afDone.jpg

this is what it came from

cr500er.jpg

I am asking about suspension adjustments.. Motor was same between each bike.. I have been looking and so far more rebound, more sag are what i have come up with

Don't take this the wrong way, but your thread title is pretty funny considering how worn that back tyre is!

CR500afDone.jpg

I understood your question , but my reply was to say that to get the best traction a larger flywheel will give you more

but if you are only interested in suspension settings , drop the sag , and lower the forks in the clamps(till the fork cap is level with the top clamp) , but the more you drop the sag and raise the front , the more the bike becomes unbalanced , you can try changing the wheelbase by putting the wheel as far back as you can get it in the adjusters , thats what i did on my 450X and i have tons more usable traction than i did when the wheel was in the stock location !

also if you soften the compression on the rear (turning it out), the rear will drop more , leave your rebound as close to stock as you can

Don't take this the wrong way, but your thread title is pretty funny considering how worn that back tyre is!

CR500afDone.jpg

:banana: Yea tire is hashed in that photo:bonk:

I understood your question , but my reply was to say that to get the best traction a larger flywheel will give you more

but if you are only interested in suspension settings , drop the sag , and lower the forks in the clamps(till the fork cap is level with the top clamp) , but the more you drop the sag and raise the front , the more the bike becomes unbalanced , you can try changing the wheelbase by putting the wheel as far back as you can get it in the adjusters , thats what i did on my 450X and i have tons more usable traction than i did when the wheel was in the stock location !

also if you soften the compression on the rear (turning it out), the rear will drop more , leave your rebound as close to stock as you can

Yea the flywheel thing goes without being said.. Thanks for the input.. I will do some playing this weekend to see what makes the changes that do what is needed

CR500afDone.jpg

The bad part is that with a CR500 that tire probably WAS new earlier that day! :banana: I know that my friends 500AF will destroy a new tire in one day with the rocky soil we have here.

What happened to the rest of the CR500? I'm looking for a complete front end.

sent you a pm

The bad part is that with a CR500 that tire probably WAS new earlier that day! :banana: I know that my friends 500AF will destroy a new tire in one day with the rocky soil we have here.

Aint that the truth:ride: Don't take long at all

A heavier flywheel will give you more initial traction , it will slow the spin up of the motor and allow the rear to grab a bit before the power kicks in !

But, a heavier flywheel also makes it a bit tougher slowing for turns, as that extra rotating mass want to keep going. Something about an object in motion wants to keep in motion. Always a trade-off somewhere.

But, a heavier flywheel also makes it a bit tougher slowing for turns, as that extra rotating mass want to keep going. Something about an object in motion wants to keep in motion. Always a trade-off somewhere.

Eggsactly :banana: kinda why I did the af swap..... A lot of guys are putting on the cr250 flywheel, stator, and cdi and they say it makes it unbelievable in regards to how much more flickable it makes the bike feel, they say with the ignition mapping it hits softer on the bottom and has way better overev.... Might have to try it

Make sure your rear rebound is fast enough. If your rebound was on the slow side, then this always helps with hookup on dirt. If that generates too much kick in the rear over bumps, then to compensate, slow down the rear high speed comp.

Yes but he did not say he was riding motocross with it , i would guess he is mainly using it for either desert or just trail or play riding , so i would not think that slowing for a berm would be a issue , as also it is just as easy to use a little more brake to set up for a corner

I can ride my 450X just as hard on the motocross track as my 450R , and its 20-30 lbs heavier , so compensating for a heavy flywheel should not be a issue

The brakes will be more then enough to compensate for any weight flywheel

Really imo the flywheel weight shouldn't even come into consideration when talking about stopping performance.. Unless maybe you were talking about strictly engine brake performance :banana: