USWE SPORTS ACTION HYDRO PACKS GIVEAWAYS!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Thinking about geting a Street Legal YZ450F.....

I have became very interested in geting a motard and found one that i am thinking hard on, but im not sure if i should?

what are the ups and downs of a motard bike? whats the top speed of a YZ450F street leagle? will it handle highway riding? how do they handle?

if some one could give me some info it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

See below in red. :banana:

I have became very interested in geting a motard and found one that i am thinking hard on, but im not sure if i should?

what are the ups and downs of a motard bike? Up's - Fun, dirt crashable, light weight, easy on the eyes, super cheap to insure. Downs- regular maintenance is a must...be prepared to spend gobs of time or money on this, NOT a highway cruiser, that's about it. whats the top speed of a YZ450F street leagle? Dunno, but it would depend on your gearingwill it handle highway riding? They're not intended for this type of riding. It can be done with the right gearing, but it will be very buzzy and you may (more than likely)prematurely wear the motor.how do they handle? Depends on setup, but overall very light weight machine+ok horsepower+good torque=miles and miles of grins and smiles

if some one could give me some info it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Thanks for the info.

and how often would you recomend changing oil, filter, everything else??

Thanks for the info.

and how often would you recomend changing oil, filter, everything else??

Do a search for a shop manual for the model/year bike you're thinking of getting and read through the maintenance section. That will tell you everything you need to know. :banana:

you need to understand that you are talking about taking a RACE bike, very highly tuned and very high maintenance and wanting to rack up highway miles (!!!!) on it?

VERY expensive motor parts are pretty routinely replaced at pretty obscene intervals for anyone used to street bikes or old tech singles.

it would definitely be a blast to ride. But extremely expensive way to do it.

I ride a 09 yz450 supermoto, street legalish. I came from an r6, yes it is more labor intensive than any typical street bike. My maintenance pretty much consists of:

after each ride (figure 1-2 hrs of riding):

-definitely will need chain adjusted. 10 min

-recharge my trailtech li-ion battery. 2 min

every 3-400 miles:

-change oil and filter (could possibly get away with changing filter every other, but I just do it every time)

-clean air filter

-replace spark plug (could stretch this out, but once again, I just do it all at once.

every 1000 miles:

-recommend valve check, but you'll probably go 5-6000 miles without needing and adjustment.

I have about 1300 miles so far, thats all I really do. I am probably about to replace my cam chain tensioner to be safe. cheap and easy so why not. I would say I have about 85% tread left on rear tire, 95%+ front. I have it geared 14-44 and it will top out around 100. I avoid highway, but I have a few 55mph stretches (so more like 60-65 in reality) and it has no problem, not strained at all. I couldn't care less about creature comforts (and if you do this is not the bike for you) but even I can appreciate a good leg stretch after 30-45 min of riding. The seat is hard, you will want to dismount for a few min every so often.

Thats all that comes to mind really, other than all of the great stuff I haven't mentioned. I just completed another mandatory sportbike course today (military and all their ridiculous rules). Everyone who has no idea what the hell a motard is always looks at you like a retard. Suprizingly every time I go to a course such as this though, everyone is very interested even before they see it in action. The instructors always love you and your bike by the time the course is over. All the other riders hop off thier cookie cutter gsxr's cbr's ad r1/6's and come over, want to sit on it, want to know all about it. You OWN the track, wherever you go compared to the typical rider. The amount of skill it would take for a sport bike rider to pull off the lean angles, stopping distances, swerving abilities in comparison to myself and my bike would have to be someone riding for a long long time, very comfortable on their bike and probably some serious track time. Compared to a sport bike, you have what I would imagine to be about 95% road feel transfered to the rider, compared to something like 70-80% on a sport bike. You know without a doubt that if you lean a little farther, your tires will break loose, if you break a little harder, your going to lift your rear or one or both tires are about to break traction, you just feel everything, if that makes any sense. If you have any mechanical abilities, and a few extra min after each ride, go for it.