Sign in to follow this  

does lowering a yz250f really help performance?

Lowering a bike doesn't improve performance, it makes it easier for a shorter person to reach the ground with their foot/feet

I remember in the old daze when bikes had 35 inch seat heights they were so much easier to lay over in corners and actually drag the bars. I broke my little pinky laying over my RMA in a berm.

it cocks up the geometry.. crap for enduro when you want get over logs and obstacles... i am 5'7" and tippy toe on my wr but i refuse to lower it... too much negative costs to geometry and handling..

funny I get over logs fine with mine--not anything spectacular YET, I'm learning, but at least 12"+ logs and three stacked telephone poles, so ruh?

lowering the forks in the clamps helps turn in, lowering the rear does damn all good to any bikes geometry.. 12 inch longs arent what i had in mind.. i was thinking more like 3-4ft step ups in rocky rutted out hill climbs.. lowering the rear is only good for touching the ground, nothing else can be good about it... i am short, just wont have my bikes natural geometry stuffed up by an aftermarket lowering link.. i cut the ass out my husky te510 seat cos its a tall bike and i am a short arse ! set sag to 100mm and went about my business ! lowering links ? dont believe the hype....

lowering the forks in the clamps helps turn in, lowering the rear does damn all good to any bikes geometry.. 12 inch longs arent what i had in mind.. i was thinking more like 3-4ft step ups in rocky rutted out hill climbs.. lowering the rear is only good for touching the ground, nothing else can be good about it... i am short, just wont have my bikes natural geometry stuffed up by an aftermarket lowering link.. i cut the ass out my husky te510 seat cos its a tall bike and i am a short arse ! set sag to 100mm and went about my business ! lowering links ? dont believe the hype....

well, dunno about you, but 12 inch longs "are" kinda fun...

3-4ft stepups in rocky rutted out hill climbs...yeah so? I can do that, seriously if you need that extra inch to get it up you aren't doing it right(you know, magician, wand, magic...)

sorry i may have come across wrong there.. what i mean is this... the bikes setup isnt enhanced by a lowering link. it is to aide short asses (like me) touch the ground and that may help while paddling along in slippy/snotty hills but it sure wont help in any other way.. it wont make it ride better cos if it did, they would be like that from factory ! they are higher and level for a reason ! dropping the ass without doing the front and having the sag all ovcer the place can only be bad..

actually, the yamalink for my 07wr does indeed make it handle better because it lowers the center of gravity taking away the top heaviness(I can't speak for any other link on any other bike, tho). I've had friends and my husband, all tell(er) ride the bike for the sake of getting an opinion of feel and they really like the BALANCE of it and are actually impressed. Like I said my sag is reset properly(it's at 97mm) and clickers adjusted for terrain, and forks are up in the clamps(NO CHOPPER!!!)

yes indeedy, if someone does NOT reset the sag the bike is soft and choppery and handles like crap. But that is totally half-ass behavior, what is the point to that?

When I get home from work later I will post some pix so you can compare the geometry of a stock bike and my bike with the YL PROPERLY SET UP.

• Like 1

actually doesnt look too bad at all ! i rode a drz with one and it was horrid.. but that is a horrid bike lol... i flog mine and i came off a te510 so it has a loto fo work to do to get up there ! :thumbsup: but it does, there a fab bike ! i'd like to ride one with a link now you have me curious ! lol..

• Like 1