86 XR/TLR 200 Oil Pump Screws Stuck???

Having A Heck Of A Time Removing Oil Pump From R. Case. The 2 Flat Top Phillips screws Resist All Attempts Of Removal. Killed At Least 3 Impact Driver Bits Tying To Loosen Screws. Have Cases Split & Need To Take Care Of This Issue Before Closing Cases. Anyone Run Into This Issue? Tried Heating Area Aroung Screws Without Luck Either :banana:

Edited by scooterpimp
spelling error

Common problem especially if a PO used red locktite on the screws. I broke down an XR200 a couple of days ago and ran into the same problem, I'll try one more time and then it will be "drill the heads off". These engines usually fail from lack of lube so you really should breakdown the pump to make sure it is within wear specs and all of the oil passages are clear. Also back blow all of the oil passages in the head and cases.

Seems Like Back Of Screw Heads Are Stuck In Pump Rather Than Threaded Portion Of Screw Being Stuck In Case . I Would Think Screw Head Would Break Off Before Impact Tips Broke If The Threads Were Stuck? Goin To Sears In Morning To Trade In Broken Screw Bits. I Have No Problem Getting New Pump Assembly As Long As I Can Get Screws From Case Ok. Thanks For The Info...

Chuck Is The Man.... Tapered Part Of Pump Screws Were Siezed In Pump. Used Left Hand Drill Bit A Few Sizes Smaller Than Head Of Screw & 1/2 Way Through Screw Head They Backed Right Out. Now I Can Cleanup & Blow Out Passages & Close The Cases. WooHoo.

A Crusty old Mechanic once showed me that when you have a Philips Or flat head screw that wont back out, use a small amount of Valve grinding compound and work it into the slot with a screw driver and you will eventually have enough grip from the to surfaces to remove the screw. ( it works very well & I have used this method many many times )

I have the same locked up screws on the pump on my XR200r. Scared to drill them out though. Maybe I'll sit and stare at them for a while more. See if that works.